[TYPO3-dam] Discussion: Option to hide caption, alt+title fields in content elements

georg kuehnberger georg at georg.org
Thu Aug 13 21:09:46 CEST 2009

Patrick Gaumond wrote:
> Georg Ringer wrote:
>
>> .: Hide caption + alt + title field.
> One nice feature of DAM is to reuse media without copying it. Then
> having different captions (per CE) is sometimes mandatory.
>
> So we have at least 3 scenarios for captions-alt-titlefield :
> 1. DAM only (then hide CE ones)
> 2. CE only (hide in DAM records)
> 3. DAM but "overridable" in CE if provided

Patrick, you are right here. to be more precise: The best way-of-work is
3. which we practice in most setups.
it boils down to:

A) force Editors to insert "caption + alt + title" (or any lesser
combination) RIGHT during initial upload, so that your media WILL have a
minimum of required metadata (done via TCA).

B) DO use the TYPO3-Core Translation features for dam-metadata in case
of a multi-lang site. (multi-lang config see wiki)

C) Reuse the stored metadata throughout any FE-Display as default value.
This is also the major "selling point" to Editors:
Enter metadata ONLY ONCE - Reuse anywhere.

D) optionally: For some experienced Editors / or all: show the CE-based
"caption + alt + title" fields and config them to overide the DAM-meta data.

regards georg