[TYPO3-dam] Looking for a gallery...

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Wed Oct 10 12:33:16 CEST 2007

Hi.

Michiel Roos [Netcreators] wrote:
> [...]

Thanks. I did look at it again, and will probably use it. DAM is not a
must currently, but rather the nesting, comments and ease of use (for
the people feeding pictures to the gallery).

Gallery2 wins in all points easily, especially after I tried the
standalone Java application for creating albums and uploading pictures.
Even does image downscaling on the client before upload.

> Gallery2 uses it's own database (tables at least). It's not a TYPO3 ext
> in any way (except that it's 'glued' into TYPO3).

Well, since the Gallery2 developers obviously provide a very nice API to
embed into other applications, the glue is quite strong. CSS and JS from
Gallery2 is put cleanly into $GLOBALS['TSFE']->additionalHeaderData, the
BE user is logged into the Gallery2 when using the BE module, ...

FE user sync should be easy to add, and it might even be possible to
make the DAM a "data source" for Gallery, who knows.

Sorry, for now I'll stick to that, as I just have an itch to scratch for
a relative of mine, so I cannot put hours, days or weeks into that topic
now.

Regards,
Karsten