[TYPO3-dam] Looking for a gallery...

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Oct 15 11:09:41 CEST 2007

Michiel Roos [Netcreators] wrote: on 08.10.2007 16:03:

>> Ben you might have not seen yet:
>> http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/extension-manuals/gallery2/0.0.28/view/1/2/
>
> Well, yes. You mentioned gallery2, so of cource Ben looked it up in the
> ext_rep.
>
> All the gallery2 ext does (as you know of course), is that it makes the
> gallery2 database accessible from the TYPO3 backend en frontend. I don't
> know (by reading the manual) if gallery2 can read the files from the
> fileadmin (probably can). But it sure cannot do anything clever with the
> dam, like use the Meta data from an image for the description (it might
> be able to use the jpeg comment field or whatever, but nothing from the
> dam tables).
>
> Gallery2 uses it's own database (tables at least). It's not a TYPO3 ext
> in any way (except that it's 'glued' into TYPO3).
>
> So I really agree with Ben and Karsten. We can use a do-all be-all
> gallery extension that can use the dam, use nested categories,
> subgalleries, zoombox, lightbox, etc.
>
> Any volunteers?

Maybe a nice idea would be to add T3-DAM Backend to the Gallery2
Project? So you could manage your pictures in DAM, but use G2 to display
them (which would extract meta information, etc). The architecture of G2
is pretty well thought and should allow such things.

I think G2 has grown to be so feature rich and does it's FE-job so well
and has already so many plugins that it would be a shame not to be able
to use that together with DAM.

Cheers,
Ernesto