[TYPO3-dam] dam with fe-user management

georg k georg at georg.org
Wed Jun 13 00:13:09 CEST 2007

Michael, just a few (hopefully helpful) thoughts/comments,

Michael wrote:
> Hi Everybody.
> I am planing to build something like a Web Document Mangement System. I did a lot of researches and it seems that DAM is the best extension to use.
> The problem is that i need a lot more functionality for handling the download rights of fe-users. Well what i need is:
> - a online download repository, categories and secure downloads
70% of that functionality could be found in the TER - your turn for
mixing and adding the 30% ;-)

> - fe-user can browse through the downloads, but only those which they are aloud to.
some work, but you can build fe_groups clauses into the browsing-plugin,
or use the

> - fe-users can register themselves and request forgotten pws (or generete new)
Standard-Functions of the var. fe_user extensions ...

> - the medialibrary and the fe-users are completely separated from the website.
separated in which regard? I dont get the point here.

> - i want to send e-mails based on new downloads(uploads) in some kind of newsletter.
ingredients: listing of tx_dam records sorted by date as fe_plugin >>>
newsletter-extension / shake well >> done;

> Surely i need to use other extensions and have to associate all of them togeher. I am very experienced in php but never created a extension before.
> 1. I think the main problem is that DAM cannot handle user/role associations to downloads AND categories, does it?
AFAIR:
- you can store Access-Rights per fe_group for each dam-record.
- you can store Access-Rights per fe_group for each dam-category.

I'd guess a clever combination of those possibilities could suffice your
requirements. This combination of course depends on your busines-logik
for download + upload.

In addition you also might add any other meta-information from the
dam-record or even any logik in the directory-structure to your combination.

We did something simiar 3 years ago in pre-dam-age for personalized PDFs
(~50.000 files for ~17.000 Users in ~1.000 groups), where users would be
able to see + download files which were released by the editors either
on a per user- or on a (multi)-group-base.

> 2. Well, do you think it is even possible the get the different needed extensions working togheter without having much maintaince with future updates?
In case you use the XCLASS-mechanism (which extends/changes only certain
classes/functions of any given other extension) you will be on the safe
side for update/grades;

> 3. If yes, do you think this will be a lot of work? (unforutnaly i guess YES) ;-)
What's "a lot"?
You being a PHP-programmer, the huge parts will be to a) create a sound
specification, b) decide upon the code-base from existing extensions and
c) getting started with extension-programming. - Then the coding will be
a breeze.  ;-)

> The idea is to use our given typo3-website installation instead of buying a DMS or building up a own new application (we already have a bad one).
Cool idea! - I'd like to hear more!
Last year we were thinking into similar directions (DMS), however we
skipped the plan, mainly because the requirements for "large" DMSes
often include functions like: workflows, webDAV, integration with/to
ERP-Systems, Document-Scanners and much more.

> Thanks for replies.
> Michael

hth regards georg