[TYPO3-dam] dam with fe-user management

Michael typo3-projects-dam at news.netfielders.de
Tue Jun 12 16:54:35 CEST 2007

Hi Everybody.

I am planing to build something like a Web Document Mangement System. I did a lot of researches and it seems that DAM is the best extension to use.
The problem is that i need a lot more functionality for handling the download rights of fe-users. Well what i need is:
- a online download repository, categories and secure downloads
- fe-user can browse through the downloads, but only those which they are aloud to.
- fe-users can register themselves and request forgotten pws (or generete new)
- the medialibrary and the fe-users are completely separated from the website.
- i want to send e-mails based on new downloads(uploads) in some kind of newsletter.

Surely i need to use other extensions and have to associate all of them togeher. I am very experienced in php but never created a extension before.

1. I think the main problem is that DAM cannot handle user/role associations to downloads AND categories, does it?
2. Well, do you think it is even possible the get the different needed extensions working togheter without having much maintaince with future updates?
3. If yes, do you think this will be a lot of work? (unforutnaly i guess YES) ;-)

The idea is to use our given typo3-website installation instead of buying a DMS or building up a own new application (we already have a bad one).

Thanks for replies.

Michael