[TYPO3-dam] Any new news?

Daniel Hinderink daniel at typo3.org
Sun Jul 15 23:45:42 CEST 2007

Hi Michiel,

I appreciate your own work to improve the DAM.

That being said, I believe you do not acknowledge the current situation
we as DAM users are in.

Appeals like the one you are writing below will have no effect.
René _can't_ do as you ask him, if _we_ don't put him in a position
where he can! That means time (paid for) and additional manpower (paid
for) in his vicinity. That is the heart of Ekki's suggestion.

Let's take quick look at the theoretical alternatives:

A fork is no option from my pov, as i have pointed out before. When the
system is more openly developed, more people can join in and eventually
may be someone can take over the lead. We are nowhere near that situation.

So we can either watch it die, or do something _together_ to improve the
situation.

Ekki's suggestion is an attempt to bring more accountability and
stability into the development communication of the DAM. That includes
SVN and answering to bug fixes.

This comes at a price, which is rather moderate if we can find enough
companies to join in. I am prepared to pay this price, because the DAM
is worth it to me and I believe this is also a model solution for some
problems in the TYPO3 project. I sincerely hope many of you are willing
and able to do this too.

If you feel this is too risky, then suggest criteria that make it less
risky. If you think it is the wrong set of objectives, the suggest other
ones. If you have some other form of factual criticism, then suggest a
solution. Then we are moving in the right direction.

I really hope we can find a consensus resulting in common action and
support here.

cheers

Daniel