[TYPO3-dam] Any new news?

Michiel Roos [netcreators] michiel at netcreators.com
Sun Jul 15 13:37:49 CEST 2007

Franz Holzinger wrote:
> Patrick Gaumond a écrit :
>
>> Silence for months. I don't want this to look like personal attacks! I
>> don't want to know why people disappear, it's just "factual".
>
> René Fritz has written this on his thread to the topic 'DAM Development
> Model'
>
> So why not follow his suggestions?
>
> - Franz
>
> here a copy of it:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> DAM development is again in big discussion, in particular since my
> plans to
>> finish the 1.1 Version in january didn't match with the reality.
>>
>> I'm also not very happy with the situation and changing the
> development model
>> was my plan anyway when 1.1 is released.
>>
>> One mistake was to make DAM such a big thing or to develop it alone.
> DAM is
>> currently about 35000 lines of code! One might not expect to get such
> a big
>> thing when talking about a DAM system for TYPO3. But the current
> version is
>> more or less my vision of such a system.
>>
>> The development was done by me alone, that was not a must, but it is
> simply
>> reality. Only one person contributed code, bugfixes and ideas (thanks to
>> Daniel Thomas!). Apart from many 'Big thanks' emails (thanks for that)
>> feedback in any form was very little, so I followed my own ideas.
>>
>> Second thing, not surprisingly I need to earn money, so development
> depends on
>> paid projects which is against any continuity. Nevertheless I spent
> tons of
>> unpaid hours to bring this beast to life. I can not and will not do that
>> further.
>>
>> I think the upcoming 1.1 version is a good basis for future
> development which
>> can be splitted into smaller projects. Those projects don't have to be
>> developed by me necessarily.
>>
>> I still want to develop DAM but in your and in my interest it can't
> depend on
>> me only. But even when this is suggested already I don't see a solution
>> instantly. It's no problem to put DAM in subversion but a coordination
> must
>> be established. Open it as a playground for everybody is not a good
> thing in
>> my eyes.

Dearest devs,

Right . . . sounds a bit like 'The Cathedral and the Bazaar' to me.

It is more than clear that the current state of affairs frustrates a LOT
of people.

Nobody in this line of work needs more frustration than our usual daily
dose we get fed from our companies ourselves or clients.

I am unable to accept that an open-source project should create this
amount of frustration.

I am not going to even try to spill my heart about 'the money issue'
that is brought up higher in this thread.

Build quality software and good things will come to you.

I agree that not everyone needs commit access, but can the 'cathedral
maintainders' please step up and start at least integrating submitted
(tested and working) diff's into svn on typo3xdev . . .

. . . so that users (. . . potential sponsors, contributors, new to
TYPO3 dev guru's, unknows rising stars etc.) can test the svn version
and help out the maintainders to improve their software by ironing out
some bugs or making some sensible suggestions on usability?

Also, a couple of WIKI pages explaining DAM internals, the UML diagrams
( . . . ;-) of the design etc. can live on the WIKI so that potential
dev's and contributors have something to look at.

We are not asking for total control or total openness . . .

Act up!

Start comitting to svn!

Kindest of regards,

Michiel Roos

--
Netcreators BV :: creation and innovation
www.netcreators.com

Interesse in werken bij Netcreators?
http://www.netcreators.com/bedrijf/vacatures/