[TYPO3-dam] will DAM suit a DTP extranet?

stefano cecere scecere at krur.com
Sat Feb 11 14:21:35 CET 2006

Mathias Schreiber wrote:
> stefano cecere wrote:
>> 1) all the management/catalog will be done in the front-end (will i
>> have to develop everything or is there already something?) the BE is too
>> complicated for normal users
>
> This might be a problem.
> But: How do you intend to make things easier?
> DAM is so much straightforward as I could imagine...

well.. the interface to the catalog will have many features like:
- credits (you can download an image just if you have enough "credits")
- "search similar" (custom search)
- simple upload new image
- AJAX previews

i have to check deep how the DAM BE interface can be simplified.
there could be many features for which i'll need FE..
so the point is: or 100% FE or 100% BE

>> 2) the old archived are in old EPS (4 colors), and all images have to
>> be converted in compressed TIFF (i guess i'll have to develop a
>> converter)
>
> /usr/bin/convert [INPUTFILE].eps
>  [INPUTFILE].tif -[commandline_paramter_for_compressing]
> Just wrote that yesterday for transforming EPS files to JPGs (I also resized
> them and stuff).
> Put that into a commandline PHP script and grab a cup of coffee (of a can of
> coffee, depending on the ammount of images ;-))

i have only to check if Imagemagick converts old EPS (the ones splitted in 4 files for each CYMB

>> 3) there'll be complex permissions system for users and
>> their ability to see/download images (should be easy)
>
> define "complex"

each user could see/manage just a portion of the assets, based on two hierarchical group trees (and i think this could be done with both BE or FE users)

>>  4) all photos should be in protected area (non direct link possible)
>> Reneè i know
>> it' a planned feature.. maybe i could help develop it..
>
> We got that one working under live conditions. Wanna sponsor? :)

sure, if i get the job there should be contributions both to the DAM extension and some $$ for some help around here and there :)

>>  5) FTP-Upload.. i think most images will be <10Mb.. but i'm not so
>> sure.. what is the situation with it? i know other CMS have already
>> implemented a java FTP.. maybe this could be a boost to help develop
>> it
>
> There is a project request for that, maybe this might help
> http://typo3.org/development/projects/ftp-client/

yes i remember this project.. we should be check if any other developer is needing this and create a dev team (with some sponsoring) to make it work withing 2 months

>> it is point 1) (the management of photos from the FE) that really
>> make me ask if DAM is the right tool, or if it would be easier to go
>> with a custom solution...
>> maybe you have some comments.. i'll have to define a project and
>> estimate in 7 days..
>
> hope I helped :)

sure, thanks Mathias!

the only point is that i have the feeling that the whole thing should work from the FE.
and see how it can be done easily with DAM...

anybody did anything similar?
stefano