[TYPO3-dam] will DAM suit a DTP extranet?

Mathias Schreiber mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Sat Feb 11 13:51:24 CET 2006

stefano cecere wrote:
> 1) all the management/catalog will be done in the front-end (will i
> have to develop everything or is there already something?) the BE is too
> complicated for normal users

This might be a problem.
But: How do you intend to make things easier?
DAM is so much straightforward as I could imagine...

> 2) the old archived are in old EPS (4 colors), and all images have to
> be converted in compressed TIFF (i guess i'll have to develop a
> converter)

/usr/bin/convert [INPUTFILE].eps
 [INPUTFILE].tif -[commandline_paramter_for_compressing]
Just wrote that yesterday for transforming EPS files to JPGs (I also resized
them and stuff).
Put that into a commandline PHP script and grab a cup of coffee (of a can of
coffee, depending on the ammount of images ;-))

> 3) there'll be complex permissions system for users and
> their ability to see/download images (should be easy)

define "complex"

>  4) all photos should be in protected area (non direct link possible)
> Reneè i know
> it' a planned feature.. maybe i could help develop it..

We got that one working under live conditions. Wanna sponsor? :)

>  5) FTP-Upload.. i think most images will be <10Mb.. but i'm not so
> sure.. what is the situation with it? i know other CMS have already
> implemented a java FTP.. maybe this could be a boost to help develop
> it

There is a project request for that, maybe this might help
http://typo3.org/development/projects/ftp-client/

> it is point 1) (the management of photos from the FE) that really
> make me ask if DAM is the right tool, or if it would be easier to go
> with a custom solution...
> maybe you have some comments.. i'll have to define a project and
> estimate in 7 days..

hope I helped :)