[TYPO3-dam] dd_dam_gallery - development discussion (was 'DAM Photo Gallery' in german list)

Jan-Hendrik Heuing [DD] jh at digitaldistrict.de
Tue Oct 4 22:16:22 CEST 2005

>> What do we use?
>
> there should also be a FE-editing inside TV - but I'm not sure if the
> non-working FE-editing/Timtaw is a "bug" in TV or not.
>
> We should also think of performance when probably developing a new
> FE-editing solution etc., because I think that e.g. a typo-framework with
> TV, your ext_framework and maybe a new FE-editing framework will contain
> huge libraries layed over the typo3-framework which might heavily increase
> rendering-time. So maybe refactoring the core-functionallities might be
> some better way for this - or at least take those functionality out of the
> core into an extension, so that the core is keept as small and fast as
> possible.

Naa... Let me say this: Rendering the page is a different thing, this should
be fast. Example: In the gallery, what takes time is to analyse how many
elements are available within a category and it's subcategory, the rest of
it is fast enough I guess. I added some timetracking if you open your
admin-panel, you'll see.

For the forms, of course it should be sort-of fast as well, but this is a
different case. I think much more important is the standard render-stuff,
not if someone uses forms.

But beside that: I think it is no problem finding a solution which takes
care of forms fast enough ;)

TV-FE-Editing... Well, that's a problem within be_acl, timtaw or whatelse,
but I think this can be solved and is not something I'd think about now. My
problem with TCE is, that I can not change layout at all, and that I can not
do easily any custom things with it. JS-validation, custom fields. So I'd
rather invest time in something which is very flexible, and which we could
use for most cases related to form things. paging of forms, hiding, showing
of form-fields (via javascript), special form field configuration, special
validation (like phone numbers) and stuff like that. I do not see that being
part of TCE within the next 1-2 years to that extend.

>> Using the commenting as an example:
>> - index.php?id=123&showcomments=1&table=tx_dam&element=123&...
>>
>> So links could be generated to show an individual sort of guestbook.This
>> way you can have individual "guestbooks" for individual images, videos,
>> content elements etc...
>>
>> Same same fits for voting.
>
> it would also be possible to implement those features (at least voting)
> into a forum (chc_forum) or whatever to easily achive portal-features.
> Private Messages could work the same way.

That would be possible in a very easy way, as you just add those special
links. There is one more advanced problem though: If you want to display the
number of comments. You have different ways of doing so. I am not a friend
of real-time rendering, as this slows down the page, as you have to use
USER_INT. I'd rather add it as ajax-option with a sepratate query. If your
browser supports Javascript, it sends requests to the server to ask for the
number of posts. The other chance is implementing some nested
USER->PHP_SCRIPT_EXT, as this would give you the chance to query the number
WITHOUT initiating the whole TS engine, as rest of it is cached in the USER
object. Sounds like a good idea to me.

>> If this ends up in team-development, we should add a new newsgroup for
>> anything related to development including dd_extensionframework, as a lot
>> can be done here, a lot is already there. The good thing is that those
>> things can be developed seperatly like commenting and voting.
>
> I'm on - I need this stuff anyway :)

If I get a few days, I could spend a little time at the evenings to get that
hack for the commenting running on a testplatform. Then you see ?what I mean
and how it works.

It could be passed on of course, if this is urgent. The main point, why I
did not go into it deeply, as that I really hate forms :D I just do not like
setting them up, validating them etc., so I was thinking... Maybe we find
some FE-TCE first to make use of it ;) I will need a few hours to get
something half-way up and running, including some sort of guestbook-style
summary including backlinks to the original elements...

JH