[TYPO3-content-rendering] Roadmap Feature Request

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Apr 10 10:25:01 CEST 2006

JoH schrieb am 09.04.2006 19:20:

> It was a pure accident that I found out about these problems, since I didn't
> expect things to be changed in these places without discussion in the CRG,
> but I talked to Marc Bastian who opened the bug two months ago!
> Instead Ernesto opened a bug in the bugtracker to introduce a new way of
> rendering forms. Again without additional information in the list.

In my defense, the history of this issue is a bit longer than that, and
its not that things have happened without any public knowledge:

The patch about the accessibility mailform has been going around the CRG
lists and pages for more than a year now. The discussions in the mailing
lists at that time (june/2005) never came to any conclusion and ended
abruptly. So I took over the patch that was available at that time (from
ben or Rupi?), added some stuff (which includes the "hardcoded"
fieldsets around radio buttons in "accessibility=1" mode, I confess!).

I opened a bug-tracker report with the issues
(http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=1369) and the patch and asked for
comments in the CRG list (11.8.2005). Noone commented, the only comments
I've got were from Sebastian Kurfuerst through the bug tracker (and
later through Skype). We then worked together to get that incorporated
in the 4.0 branch. If I was going to wait for more comments, we would
never add those stuff to the core.

Now we had the accessibility patch in core, but still no default
TypoScript that was using it. At the end of december, several
"accessibility" stuff were added to CVS, including a sample TypoScript
snippet that generated a "MAILFORM". This was announced on 17.12 by
Sebastian Kurfuerst, who asked for comments on this list. The TS was
some buggy TypoScript that was running around the CRG for some time
(it's still on our wiki page!!). And it was not really compatible with
the patch I introduced several months before, but noone seemed to notice
that for some time.

Later in december I took some time to work on a better approach of
rendering MAILFORMs, which was based solely on TypoScript. This included
a better concept for the TypoScript that generates the MAILFORM and a
sample accessible and flexible TypoScript
(http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=2119). No more "accessibility=1"
flag, every one could implement their own "accessible" mailform, and the
shipped TS would be "accessible" out-of-the-box. Unfortunately it broke
"backwards compatibility" (the "accessibility=1" flag had no effect
anymore), which is why it wasn't added at the end. I had no time and no
further motivation to continue working on that.

Marc found out the problem in february because the default TypoScript
generated "double fieldsets" around radio-buttons
(http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=2485). This hasn't been brought up in
any mailing list, I didn't even know that JoH had been in contact with
Marc. As there was a lack of a patch for some months (!), I did a quick
patch that simply removed the fieldset with 'id="testform_radio"' which
was still remaining from the original buggy TypoScript. It was clearly
too late when I opened the discussion on the CRG list to get other
opinions on the best way to do it, as 4.0 was going to be released the
next day.

So bottom line, I would say: There was lack of communication and maybe
lack of time or interest to really test and suggest changes (meaning
patches!).

Now I'd like to end up THIS part of the discussion (the past) and focus
on the future. And would like to see comments on a better approach. The
issue http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=2119 has been re-opened and I'd
welcome any comments you could have on that. I still think this is the
most flexible solution (see the sample TypoScript in the patch!) but we
need to see that this doesn't break backwards compatibility.

Cheers,
Ernesto