[TYPO3-content-rendering] Roadmap Feature Request

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Sun Apr 9 19:20:58 CEST 2006

> The two issues Joey points out are:
>  - hardcoded fieldsets around radio buttons is bad
>  - during the integration of css styled imgtext into the core
>    CaptionSplit was accidently dropped

Well - the problem is, that these changes have been made by just one person
without discussing them here in the list _before_ they were made.
Ernesto and Stucki decided, that the old way of captionSplit was "ugly code"
and therefor replaced it without further notice.
So this was no accident but purpose.

Same thing with the fieldsets. (That are rising two problems at the moment:
1. Hardcoded fieldsets have to be "styled away" 2. An additional label for
radio buttons, that has no corresponding input field (thus making the code
invalid) and repeating the legend of the fieldset so that the label is
always rendered twice)
There have been some minor issues about the use of fieldset last year, but
nobody really discussed these changes _before_ they were applied to one of
the betas and/or RCs.
It was a pure accident that I found out about these problems, since I didn't
expect things to be changed in these places without discussion in the CRG,
but I talked to Marc Bastian who opened the bug two months ago!
Instead Ernesto opened a bug in the bugtracker to introduce a new way of
rendering forms. Again without additional information in the list.

I agree with you, that there are definitely some communication problems, if
the rest of CRG is not informed about such changes in any way.

> Sorry, Joey, I agree the CaptionSplit bug is quite annoying, but we
> really have to release 4.0 now, because a lot of people are depending
> on it. We'll have a 4.0.1 soon!"

But this is not the problem. It should have been:
"Thank you, that you informed us about those blockers that have been
implemented because we discussed these issues only on the core list but
without informing the responsible teams. We will wait with the release until
the CRG came up with a fix for 4.0RC3 because a lot of people are depending
on the final 4.0 to be working properly. Do you think it's possible to get
some working code within 24h?"

See the difference? - It's not about speed, it's about quality!

So let's see if we can find a way to improve the way we communicate between
CORE and CRG.
Seems to be very important to make this new baby run smoothly.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de