[TYPO3-content-rendering] Fieldset around radio-button group

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Fri Apr 7 23:57:01 CEST 2006

Hi Joey,

>>> Agree, there were better reasons to do it.
>
> @Stucki: I really would like to know which "better" reasons you had in
> mind.

The main reason is just that we have arrived at a point where feedback is
popping in very slow while some developers would like to start working and
concentrating on new features for the next version.

> Reasons that are good enough to ship a new version that will break
> the output of a few 1000 websites worldwide after updating.

According to the feedback of three betas and three release candidates, the
problem seems to be a very small one.

Don't get me wrong: I don't say that we have the perfect solution now. I
just wonder how long we should have wait until every issue was fixed?
(I really mean every, because this is just one bug in the row of issues that
have been left unresolved...)

> Imagine a website with a few hundred images using captions and the "old
> school" caption split but NOT CSS-styled-content. Instead they are using
> custom TypoScript (which is true for most of the professional TYPO3
> agencies I have been working for). They do an update to 4.0 and - guess
> what - will loose all captions, since captionSplit has been kicked
> completely.

I agree that this is a bit awkward, but on the other side it is something
that can be fixed pretty easy. I assume it is a rather small thing that
needs to be done when you keep in mind that you are upgrading to a new
major version number.

We are spoiled with TYPO3s great quality, this is very unusual for other
software projects. Of course it will always be a TYPO3 philosophy that
something like this should not happen, but now there is this single
break... it is really acceptable.

Additionally, I want to repeat that this bug was well-known since weeks but
nobody insisted to have a fix for it. "Community" does not mean that only
the core team can work on a bugfix. Considering that you find this issue so
important, you would have been welcome to write a patch for it.

>>> We can try to improve the problems that will be criticised, but
>>> here I have the feeling that your main problem is that you are
>>> not part of that team, too.
>
> @Stucki: Interesting to read this. Since this is exactly the same answer I
> got from Kasper when criticising how TYCON3 was conducted.

It seems as we both prefer critism in a more friendly manner.
As suggested by Mathias, I am all for discussing these issues after some
weeks where we could get more feedback about this version.

I'm agree that things went wrong but one thing we must also agree about is
that you cannot just sit down and wait until someone else fixes the
problems which you find important. Although parts of TYPO3 are financed by
the Association, in its biggest part it's still a spare-time project. Just
keep that in mind, please.

About improving:
I can imagine that a voting system in the bugtracker would help a lot to
separate the important from the unimportant issues. Currently I can only
argue about this by the number of users who monitor/comment to a bug.

Don't know if this is possible with Mantias. I will ask Dodger so we could
probably make use of it...

May I suggest that we wait for some days or weeks until we get back to this
topic, discuss the problems and find solutions, just as proposed by
Mathias?

Have a nice weekend!
- michael
--