[TYPO3-content-rendering] Fieldset around radio-button group

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Fri Apr 7 12:43:36 CEST 2006

> It's a sympathic idea(l) but we already tried it in the very early
> days and it meant we had no real releases for 2-3 years! Only working
> dev-versions. So its in fact a sign of maturity that we have realized
> that we never reach a point where everyone thinks his favorite bugs /
> features are fixed.

I don't think you got the point here. It's not about "my favorite bugs" - in
fact I don't care "who's" bug it is, but I do care if this bug can be
harmful for existing installations.
I thought it was you who has been propagating backwards compatiblity all the
time. And now you are shipping a new version that breaks this backwards
compatiblity in different places, where most of these breaks where
unnecessary.
captionSplit is only one example, where it would have been possible to keep
the old way of doing things _and_ introduce a new way without any problems.

> There are many factors involved in our determination for what
> constitutes a final release. These are not strict and scientific but
> far more based on my/our sense of balance, both for what needs to be
> fixed and for what the community and market needs to get. I think we
> have managed that very well for version 4.0.

Well - this is your opinion - I hope that reality will not prove you wrong

> Also, its very important to consider the need for satisfaction and
> reaching of milestones for developers. From a HR viewpoint I consider
> it more important to have a periodic release party where everyone can
> feel accomplishment than keeping the product hostage to remaining
> bugs! Otherwise those bugs never get fixed since there are only worn-
> out developers left!

So you are releasing new versions just for the psychological effect it might
have on the CORE devs?
You must be kidding!

>> The current behaviour of the core team will IMHO harm the overall
>> reputation
>> of TYPO3.
>> Too much features that are not yet finished or implemented in a
>> questionable
>> way but only a few guys are willing to discuss those things before
>> the release of a final version.
>
> I think this is an unnecessarily hard critique which doesn't respect
> that the core teams only job is not to fix bugs but also judge which
> are important enough to make it into the next version, considering
> _all things_. I ask you to have more patience and understanding.

Let me translate this: Shut up, because you don't know what is important,
but the core devs know.
Thanx for proving the thoughts I had about the attitude of the core team.

> This has taught me some lessons about not obsession on every minor
> imperfection (which is bug really is) but rejoice in the bigger
> picture. I understand that this couldn't have been clear for any of
> you of course since its a personal experience.

So you think it's a minor imperfection when the output of a few thousand
sites has to be fixed manually after an update to 4.0?
Well - maybe you should just calculate the amount of money that will be
burned this way.
But feel free to rejoice in the bigger picture meanwhile ...

>> At the moment he is changing the severity of all the blockers I
>> have posted
>> to the bugtracker
>> from "blocker" to "minor bug" - to acchieve what?
>
> You seem to claim that a poster of a bug is in a better position to
> judge whether it should delay the release than the core team leader,
> correct?
>
> Please respect the superior view of the team leader who has the
> overview. Its his job to do this. Remember, everyone thinks his
> problem is the most important.

Again: this is not "my" problem, but the problem of thousands of people who
rely on TYPO3 because the decided to do their business with it.
Currently I doubt there is something like "the superior view of the
teamleader".
There are too many heavy blockers that are simply ignored. Some of them have
even been implemented by the "man with the superior view" himself, ignoring
the impact his work might have for the users of TYPO3.
I guess I am not the only one who is pissed off by this behaviour and the
overall attitude of the team.

I have been talking to another core dev today, and he just told me he
considers the current 4.0 as a beta version, that can be tested by a wider
community now.
Maybe you should tell the people that they are not using a final version
yet. At least this would be fair and professional.
And maybe you should explain to them why we had beta1, 2 and 3 plus RC1, 2
and 3 to just get a 4.0 with beta status ...

>> If this is the new style of the CORE Team I don't think a
>> representative
>> will have any influence at all.
>
> We have to try first to find out if you are right.
>
> Bottomline for me is that the core team is very well functioning and
> lead. If we need anything more it must be additional resources. As
> you can see I invite you to help with better recruitment process
> because that is where improvement starts.

So what is it exactly you want me to do?

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de