[TYPO3-content-rendering] Fieldset around radio-button group

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Fri Apr 7 11:48:07 CEST 2006

Morning, JoH,

Hope you are doing well! It was so nice to meet you in CH on the
snowboard!

> I always read things like "It's already too late", "We have to ship
> soon",
> "4.0 must be ready in a few days" - the question is: WHY?!
> Since this is open source and not the product of a commercial
> company there
> is no boss forcing the developers to keep any deadline.

We have thousands of bosses. You are one of them, you say "Wait".
There are others who say "Go" (in December!)

> It would be a sign of maturity if the core developers would decide
> to ship
> 4.0 in September when all major bugs and especially the conceptual
> bugs have
> been fixed.

It's a sympathic idea(l) but we already tried it in the very early
days and it meant we had no real releases for 2-3 years! Only working
dev-versions. So its in fact a sign of maturity that we have realized
that we never reach a point where everyone thinks his favorite bugs /
features are fixed.

There are many factors involved in our determination for what
constitutes a final release. These are not strict and scientific but
far more based on my/our sense of balance, both for what needs to be
fixed and for what the community and market needs to get. I think we
have managed that very well for version 4.0.

Also, its very important to consider the need for satisfaction and
reaching of milestones for developers. From a HR viewpoint I consider
it more important to have a periodic release party where everyone can
feel accomplishment than keeping the product hostage to remaining
bugs! Otherwise those bugs never get fixed since there are only worn-
out developers left!

> The current behaviour of the core team will IMHO harm the overall
> reputation
> of TYPO3.
> Too much features that are not yet finished or implemented in a
> questionable
> way but only a few guys are willing to discuss those things before the
> release of a final version.

I think this is an unnecessarily hard critique which doesn't respect
that the core teams only job is not to fix bugs but also judge which
are important enough to make it into the next version, considering
_all things_. I ask you to have more patience and understanding.

Let me tell you what the bug-tracker was for me originally: /dev/
null ! When someone created that thing I said yes because it would be
a black hole where issues end up that I don't want to know about. Why
would I be so cynic? Simply because you can't imagine the pressure
you feel when you have a deep commitment to perfectionism and on the
other hand just see the number of issues grow with a rate of 10
compared to the capacity you have for fixing them. That is what burn
out people and that was a constant struggle for me 2 years ago.

Considering that, you will be happy that issues on the bug-tracker
gets fixed in the first place! The core team are my _heroes_! They do
something that has burdened me so heavily. The last thing I want for
them is to get into the same bondage that I was when I felt like a
slave of incoming bug reports and feature requests.

This has taught me some lessons about not obsession on every minor
imperfection (which is bug really is) but rejoice in the bigger
picture. I understand that this couldn't have been clear for any of
you of course since its a personal experience.

> Kaspers signature says: A contribution a day keeps the fork away ... -
> Well - this is only true if you are willing to work with these
> contributions
> in a democratic way. At the moment this is not the case and I guess
> there
> will be many people who are frustrated about the fact that they are
> just
> ignored by commander Stucki and his overmotivated task force.

Sorry, democracy has no place in Open Source. All that counts is the
merit you earn. Democracy means that all the passive get as much to
say as the active community members. You can save that for ruling a
country.

Those on the core team are picked carefully from those who prove
their capabilities and endurance by producing great quality patches.
Its not open for everyone and it will never be. Only the best,
otherwise we drown in noise.

When that is said I will not claim that we know every talent in the
community. I'm afraid there are many people who should be on the core
team but who isn't. If you have suggestions for a better recruitment
process please let me know, really!

> At the moment he is changing the severity of all the blockers I
> have posted
> to the bugtracker
> from "blocker" to "minor bug" - to acchieve what?

You seem to claim that a poster of a bug is in a better position to
judge whether it should delay the release than the core team leader,
correct?

Please respect the superior view of the team leader who has the
overview. Its his job to do this. Remember, everyone thinks his
problem is the most important.

> If this is the new style of the CORE Team I don't think a
> representative
> will have any influence at all.

We have to try first to find out if you are right.

Bottomline for me is that the core team is very well functioning and
lead. If we need anything more it must be additional resources. As
you can see I invite you to help with better recruitment process
because that is where improvement starts.

- kasper

> Have a good night
>
> Joey
>
> --
> Wenn man keine Ahnung hat: Einfach mal Fresse halten!
> (If you have no clues: simply shut your knob sometimes!)
> Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
> openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de

> content-rendering

- kasper

"A contribution a day keeps the fork away"