[TYPO3-content-rendering] Fieldset around radio-button group

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Thu Apr 6 17:05:12 CEST 2006

> Bottom line, JoH, for this specific TYPO3 4.0 problem. What do you
> suggest we do? Please give us some TypoScript that does it "properly"
> or at least a HTML code with the result you expect from a radio-button
> group field of a FORM that is different from what we have now.
>
> We can't add any other new feature (this is too late, as we already
> are at RC3!), but we might change something that is "broken".

It's not about adding new features - it's about fixing bugs.
In this case the bug is in the concept itself not in the code. But these
bugs have to be fixed too.
The interesting thing is, that there are still many other conceptual bugs in
4.0RC3 no one seems to care about as long as the code is properly written
and people don't see error messages.
IMHO we are still far from 4.0 final, but this is another story ...

What I expect from a FORM element is that it behaves just like I want it to
behave.
The default should be no fieldset at all, since you can't know in advance if
and where the editor wants a fieldset.
So no default fieldset around the whole block of fields and definitely no
hardcoded default fieldset around radio buttons.

You don't _need_ fieldsets for a mailform to be accessible. But an admin who
cares about accessibility could use them to give the form more structure and
make it easier to handle. This can't be automated since it needs a human
decision about which fields should be grouped together. So what we need is
the possibility to use fieldsets wherever and however we like together with
an optional legend. Anything else is IMHO buggy and/or useless.

I will see what I can do for a working solution - already got something in
mind but I think it will take a few hours more to create a setup that will
be worth making it into 4.0.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de