[TYPO3-content-rendering] Fieldset around radio-button group

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Apr 6 10:21:09 CEST 2006

JoH schrieb am 04.04.2006 19:30:

>>> Maybe. But since I gather that 99% of my forms to come will use a
>>> colun based layout I'm not to keen on a label-less layout ;-)
>>
>> Yes, that's the main point/problem here: We want to be "accessible",
>> but don't want to piss off the old-gang that is used to column-based
>> form layout from TYPO3. Gladly most stuff can be configured via
>> TypoScript, but most people won't know this when sending some ranting
>> post to our lists ("argghh, 4.0 broke my site!").
>>
>> My suggestion for 4.1 would be (we should have done that in 4.0
>> already, but it's too late now):
>>
>> Have a basic "css_styled_content" that uses tables when appropriate,
>> is not accessible, but works like it always has worked, and which many
>> people love so much. But we bring more "power" to TypoScript, allowing
>> everything to be changed there (classes, tags, etc). And then we ship
>> a new static template in this extension called "CSC accessibility
>> add-on" that simply overwrites the default css_styled_content
>> TypoScript as appropriate to generate "accessible" output. The CSS
>> purists can install this template and be happy.
>>
>> This way we don't even need the "compat_version" check at that point,
>> but let the user decide which rendering he wants for her content.

> Well - to make things clear a few statements from somebody who produced a
> lot of really accessible sites _and_ tested them with different
> screenreaders.
> (...)
> Well - the way it is done now will not improve anything since a fieldset
> around the whole block of elements is of no use at all.
> The fact that it doesn't offer a legend makes it even more useless and
> degrades it to a simple layout element for the default user. You could use a
> table instead without any difference for the screenreader.

Ok, but I don't see this is a major problem. This TypoScript has been
like that for over half an year and noone ever questioned that, as far
as I remember. So doing that now a couple of days before 4.0 release is
a bit too late. We can consider this better for 4.1/4.5.

> So my advice is: Do it properly and make fieldsets available the way
> they were meant to be or don't use fieldsets at all.

Bottom line, JoH, for this specific TYPO3 4.0 problem. What do you
suggest we do? Please give us some TypoScript that does it "properly" or
at least a HTML code with the result you expect from a radio-button
group field of a FORM that is different from what we have now.

We can't add any other new feature (this is too late, as we already are
at RC3!), but we might change something that is "broken".

Cheers,
Ernesto