[TYPO3-content-rendering] TYPO 3.8 and image alignment problems in Gecko-Opera Browsers

Torsten Schrade schrade at lineara.de
Mon May 30 07:22:37 CEST 2005

Good morning everybody,

> But - I never noticed that thread you mentioned and for testing reasons I
> only upgraded my personal testsites, where I am not working with IMGTEXT

Same here. Additionally, it's a browser specific issue and not obvious
for everybody at first sight. But anyway, it's a shame and it's very
understandable that you are quite annoyed Michael. Sorry from me as well!

Let's discuss some thoughts about a solution to this:

First, considering the validity of align: according to my O'Reilly
reference the align-attribute for divs is deprecated *only* for HTML
4.01 Strict and XHTML 1.1 Strict. But looking into the Specs from the
W3C (http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/index/attributes.html) gives the
impression that it is deprecated in general...? If anybody has
clarifications on this please post it.

Be that as it may, the impact on the two mentioned solutions is the same:

1) Reverse the change - is out of the question, as there clearly are
doctypes where this attribute is not valid.

2) combine it with the config.doctype setting - better, but this only
makes sense if the attribute really is deprecated  just for the Strict
doctypes. And there are some additional drawbacks:

a) the text-align will have to stay in there even in the strict doctypes
for backwards compatibility with IE 5+ - for them, margins don't work.

As Joey said: an inline style is problematic - text align is inherited
and this influences everything within the table, e.g. the caption. At
the moment, this is solved by wrapping the caption in an additional div
with another text align...ahem.

This method rules out the possibility that we users can define some
general alignment rules for imagecaptions: what if I want all my images
at different positions but my captions always left-aligned -> I will
have to set it for each single image... a general rule in my CSS will
not work as the inline style always wins out...

b) if the core begins to output browser specific CSS (for Gecko/Opera in
this case) - well, where will that end? I think the aim for the core
should always be to produce one single HTML/CSS concept that is valid
for all browsers.

Which leaves me with the conclusion that

a) let's not just use the method of my *workaround* for solving that
problem in the core > it's only a *workaround* and nothing the core
would ideally produce. Unless this problem is fixed I'm glad though that
it seems to be working for other people as well :-)

b) let's have a look at the IMGTEXT function in class.tslib_content.
Though my php is not the best I'll at least try to email you some
structural suggestions Michael. And everybody else who is interested
please do so as well.

c) my posts are clearly to long! So before you get the impression that i
want to write books in this list,

have a nice day and cheers,
Torsten