[TYPO3-content-rendering] accessible forms with validation

Stefan Beylen intsys at swissinfo.org
Fri Jul 8 23:55:05 CEST 2005

JoH wrote:
> Since you put the @ sign into the label for the second field it will be read
> while tabbing.

true, didnt finish the thought...;)

> I don't really prefer this technique, I just wanted to point out how and why
> this is done.

I wouldnt use it...and thats not just my opinion. Make a form as you
would do it for the non-disabled. Use Asteriks for the required fields.
Disabled people are used to it as they "see" it everyday on other
websites. If you build in something "special" (e.g. a graphic of a * and
titletagged it with "required") those disabled users are just
surprised...plus it takes up extra time for the screenreader to speak
out the "required", espesh if the form got a big field array.
use a fieldset, put labels, thats it. dont set default values in the fields.
not just my opinion but also the opinion of several disabled users.

p.s.: and also forget about that accesskey thingie. thats just some
other crap that is just a pain rather than being assistive...