[TYPO3-content-rendering] accessible forms with validation

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Fri Jul 8 23:47:34 CEST 2005

> Stefan Beylen wrote:
>>> Like this:
>>> name:[        ] @ domain: [         ].
>
> further I dont think this is a clever idea. name stands for name.
> blind users use tab to skip to the next field in a form. so the @
> sign will be skipped/not get read by the screenreader. this will just
> be confusing ergo: not accessible at all ;)

But this is how it's done on many pages that are not just accessible for
blind people.
The whole thing is done like this:

Enter your E-Mail here:<br />
<label for="username">Username</label>
<input class="username" type="text" name="E-Mail:name" value="Username"
id="username" onFocus="this.value=''">
 <label for="domainname">@ Domainname</label><input class="domainname"
type="text" name="E-Mail:domain" value="Domainname" id="domainname"
onFocus="this.value=''">

Since you put the @ sign into the label for the second field it will be read
while tabbing.
I don't really prefer this technique, I just wanted to point out how and why
this is done.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.openbc.com/go/invuid/Jo_Hasenau