[TYPO3-content-rendering] CSS Styled Imgtext

Stefan Beylen intsys at swissinfo.org
Tue Jul 5 19:50:57 CEST 2005

JoH wrote:

heyhey! no cheating...
I was talking about multiple columns PLUS multiple rows.
I didnt cheat on your layout either...

> I can show you one of our former clients and just this one already might
> raise the percentage to a higher level ;-)
> (since it is a former client the site is not very up to date regarding T3
> version and coding style, but you will see the captions ...)
> http://www.arden.de/index.php?id=2279
> http://www.arden.de/index.php?id=432
> http://www.arden.de/index.php?id=434

at this distance between the images my approach got no problem with that
page. It would work and make more than one line and properly line-break.

> http://www.metabo.de/metabo/de/de/produkte/akkubohrschrauber/
> Not sure about this one, since the caption is a set of links ...

ok, we leave that out. I dont think the links come from captiontext and
you know that they arent ;)

> http://www.geveriwise-eu.com/solutions/products/index.html

ehm, did you realize that the text is actually no captiontext but IN the
image...further this one is not even possible with good old
css_styled_content.

> http://www.nytimes.com/pages/business/index.html

ok, single image, two lines of caption _below_. no problem.

> http://www.berliner-philharmoniker.de/de/orchester/

same goes for this one.

> As you might notice this is not very uncommon for almost any client that is
> using pictures with a slightly more descriptive caption.
> Together with relative font sizing it will be a must for almost any caption
> that is using more than one word.

ok, but dont forget that using one or more words is not the problem. it
depends on image width.

> And - if this is your style of argument - show me _three!_ out of 122000
> websites (done with TYPO3 or any other way) where people are using floated
> lists to present a set of images or a photobook

ok, I'll make it just for you without lists. I thought it might be a
good idea and am still convinced that it is. Read my other posts to
understand the reason why ;)

> Regarding NS4+ you might find it interesting that we did a TYPO3-Job for the
> Intranet of Sun Microsystems where more than 30% of the people still used
> this browser veteran.
> It depends on the target group, whether you have to take minorities into
> account or not.

ok, and this is accessible? if the target group is audience that needs
accessible websites go for css_styled_whatever, if it doesnt matter go
for css_styled_content. /can/ even look nice in NS 4.08

> BTW:
> The target group of this list is not just "semantics fetishists" - this is a
> minority too ;-)
> It's about finding working solutions for people that want to use a cleaner
> code and more comfortable styling for their TYPO3 based sites.

exactly. and a list with images would be better/cleaner than a <div>
wrapped around each image.

> And I guess most of the people using TYPO3 don't care how it is done and
> which tags are used, as long as the code is valid, accessible, lean and
> working for most common browsers.

yeah, probably because they dont understand it ;)

> We can do that as a team - but this will implicate the ability to
> acknowledge possible faults and tolerate other opinions. You don't have to
> adopt these opinions but at least you should accept that there are many ways
> leading to Rome ;-)

if <table> is your way I'll go to Venice.