[TYPO3-content-rendering] CSS Styled Imgtext

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Tue Jul 5 19:39:29 CEST 2005

>> Multiple lines for captions are not a "nice to have" just for images
>> at the bottom but a "must have" for all images regardless of their
>> position.
>
> ok, show me _three!_ out of the 122000 installations of typo3 where
> this would be a problem. thats 0.00245 percent.
> do you also make your websites compatible with NS 4.08?

I can show you one of our former clients and just this one already might
raise the percentage to a higher level ;-)
(since it is a former client the site is not very up to date regarding T3
version and coding style, but you will see the captions ...)
http://www.arden.de/index.php?id=2279
http://www.arden.de/index.php?id=432
http://www.arden.de/index.php?id=434

but there are other examples taken from the references list of typo3.com
too:

http://www.metabo.de/metabo/de/de/produkte/akkubohrschrauber/
Not sure about this one, since the caption is a set of links ...

http://www.geveriwise-eu.com/solutions/products/index.html
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/business/index.html
http://www.berliner-philharmoniker.de/de/orchester/

As you might notice this is not very uncommon for almost any client that is
using pictures with a slightly more descriptive caption.
Together with relative font sizing it will be a must for almost any caption
that is using more than one word.

And - if this is your style of argument - show me _three!_ out of 122000
websites (done with TYPO3 or any other way) where people are using floated
lists to present a set of images or a photobook
:-p

Regarding NS4+ you might find it interesting that we did a TYPO3-Job for the
Intranet of Sun Microsystems where more than 30% of the people still used
this browser veteran.
It depends on the target group, whether you have to take minorities into
account or not.

BTW:
The target group of this list is not just "semantics fetishists" - this is a
minority too ;-)
It's about finding working solutions for people that want to use a cleaner
code and more comfortable styling for their TYPO3 based sites.
And I guess most of the people using TYPO3 don't care how it is done and
which tags are used, as long as the code is valid, accessible, lean and
working for most common browsers.

We can do that as a team - but this will implicate the ability to
acknowledge possible faults and tolerate other opinions. You don't have to
adopt these opinions but at least you should accept that there are many ways
leading to Rome ;-)

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.openbc.com/go/invuid/Jo_Hasenau