[TYPO3-content-rendering] CSS Styled Imgtext

Torsten Schrade schrade at lineara.de
Mon Jul 4 08:51:04 CEST 2005

JoH wrote:

> Well - I always wanted to start a discussion about that, but I never did
> because I'm pretty sure this will lead to a flame war.
Since when have you been afraid of a flame war? :-)

>>I dont like it if there are divs floating everywhere...
+1

> Of course there is a way - and the name is <table>. :-P
> The only thing that made the original "oldschool" IMGTEXT "inaccessible" was
> the use of clear.gif for spacing.

I think one of the basic problems is due to historical reasons: At the
time the classic IMAGE Content Elements were developped, tables were the
prime technique. Therefore, the IMGTEXT and its backend forms were
implemented with all the easy functionality that tables can provide:
several columns, borders, "frames", positioning by just aligning the
table-imageblock etc.

Now css_styled_imgtext desperately tries to implement all this
functionality 1:1 but has to use compeletely different technology:
floating, clearing etc. And this is a WRONG concept in my opinion for
three reasons:

1. Have you ever seen a website that features images/image-alignment in
lots of rows and columns, just floated/positioned with pure css?

2. The concept of imitating table-layout with pure CSS it's very hard to
achieve and very probably might never work in a crossbrowser environment.

3. Chances are that new posibilities, concepts, ideas for image Content
Elements in TYPO3 that come through the usage of pure CSS might get lost
because everybody expects all the old functionality.

I think we would fare far better if we didn't try any longer merging two
different concept into one. A "third way" should be taken:

- The old IMGTEXT clearly needs polishing concerning techniques and
accessibility (out with the spacers and <div><p> for captions, in with
alt+title etc.)

- css_styled_imgtext should be a SEPERATE concept of using images in
TYPO3 - therefore it should have its own specific backend forms for the
images and the specific functionality that comes along by using pure CSS.

This might mean less flexibility with layouting text/images but could as
well provide new IMAGE/TEXT Elements (like single images left AND right
of text etc).

These two concept could come along as static templates, very much like
it's done in tt_news where you can choose between table-based and css
layout techniques in your template. Then admins/editors can choose: use
images in an accessible table for a page where they need a gallery-like
look, whereas on other pages where just a single image (left or right in
text) is needed they can get clean css-divs.

OK, roast me if you like and cheers,
Torsten