[TYPO3-content-rendering] CSS Styled Imgtext

Stefan Beylen intsys at swissinfo.org
Mon Jul 4 08:39:35 CEST 2005

JoH wrote:
> Well - I always wanted to start a discussion about that, but I never did
> because I'm pretty sure this will lead to a flame war.

it has to be discussed sometime ;)

> But I don't see much sense in span-tags too.

good argument. I'd prefer spans though. but what makes sense then?

> Well - this is partly true. It is possible to make something as "accessible"
> as possible with pure TS.

mail me your setup ;P

> Of course there is a way - and the name is <table>. :-P

true. but in modern times tables are not necessary.
plus: its semantically not correct.
tables should be used for tabular data, not for layouting purposes.
thats what they are for.

> The only thing that made the original "oldschool" IMGTEXT "inaccessible" was
> the use of clear.gif for spacing. This makes it very hard for screenreaders
> to "read" the images since they can't decide if the "image" should be seen
> (heard) by the user or if it' just a spacer.

if there is an empty alttext given the reader wont read it. if there are
any around that read the images with alt="" then I dont think they are
in use as the users will get annoyed in the current webs state...

> You can still do a working crossbrowser and platform compatible IMGTEXT
> using IMAGE and TEXT with some split and intelligent wrapping.

unfortunately not all typo3 users are that intelligent ;) as I also dont
know about this splitting/wrapping I want an EXT!

> The result will be a <div>-container with properly formatted Text and one
> floated table containing the images and their captions and/or links.

ok, that makes sense. so in the table there will be just the image and
its caption? the bodytext is not in the table? plz. mail me that
setup...anyways, still...there should be an EXT

> I think we don't have to "develop" real code here but we have to "develop" a
> better understanding of what "accessible" really means.

I /think/ I know what I am talking about. When it comes to accessibility
everyone has his/her own point of view.
4ex: you want to use tables, go for it. I dont want them. End of
discussion ;) - you cant convince me, I cant convince you. You are right
but I am as well.

> Neither the W3C has problems with layout tables nor the German BITV. And
> especially in this case they are IMHO the only way to go if you don't want
> to hassle with umpteen different divs floating and clearing around.

I claim a span around every image should do the job. plus one for the
captiontext. plus a span around the whole image-array including caption.
  end. there has to be just hassled once by one developer. but thats the
case for any extension.

> I know that "accessibility" is not just about screenreaders but about
> different media too.
> But hey guys: This is what Content Management is all about! You have to
> deliver stuff the right way for different media. And this is why we got
> conditions and detection of useragents in TYPO3.
> So if you have to display something on a PDA simply use a different layout
> and i.e. override the "columns" value with a default of 1.

I dont like hassling around with that on every project I do ;)

> So now that you know my point of view - may the flaming begin ;-)

your point of view is definitely right...but mine isn't wrong either.
I just want to make it easy for everyone. thats what EXTs are for at the
end.
no more flaming as I think the time is better used at another end - the
EXT...

I hope you are wrong and this wont end in an endless discussion.