[TYPO3-content-rendering] CSS Styled Imgtext

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Mon Jul 4 01:01:45 CEST 2005

> Anything new at this end?

Well - I always wanted to start a discussion about that, but I never did
because I'm pretty sure this will lead to a flame war.

> I was looking at css_styled_imgtext and want to ask if it is really a
> good idea to wrap everything in <div>-s...wouldnt it be better to use
> I dont like it if there are divs floating everywhere...

Me too - and I don't see any reason for them.
But I don't see much sense in span-tags too.

> ...just wondering...I think this is _the_ most important extension to
> make accessible websites with typo3...and at its current state its
> unusable as there are crossbrowser-issues, many things dont work at
> all and so on...so basically you cant make accessible websites that
> look like the "content manager" wants them to look like...

Well - this is partly true. It is possible to make something as "accessible"
as possible with pure TS.

> I know its hard work to make this crossbrowser/crossplatform
> compatible but there is a way...

Of course there is a way - and the name is <table>. :-P
The only thing that made the original "oldschool" IMGTEXT "inaccessible" was
the use of clear.gif for spacing. This makes it very hard for screenreaders
to "read" the images since they can't decide if the "image" should be seen
(heard) by the user or if it' just a spacer.
You can still do a working crossbrowser and platform compatible IMGTEXT
using IMAGE and TEXT with some split and intelligent wrapping.
The result will be a <div>-container with properly formatted Text and one
floated table containing the images and their captions and/or links.
You can have almost any parameter from the Backendform working.
And it will look more or less identically in most modern browsers.

> p.s.: if the developers that are currently working on it got no time I
> am willing to take over it. sponsoring is required as I am a poor
> developer that cant just live on love to typo3 ;)

I think we don't have to "develop" real code here but we have to "develop" a
better understanding of what "accessible" really means.
Neither the W3C has problems with layout tables nor the German BITV. And
especially in this case they are IMHO the only way to go if you don't want
to hassle with umpteen different divs floating and clearing around.

I know that "accessibility" is not just about screenreaders but about
different media too.
But hey guys: This is what Content Management is all about! You have to
deliver stuff the right way for different media. And this is why we got
conditions and detection of useragents in TYPO3.
So if you have to display something on a PDA simply use a different layout
and i.e. override the "columns" value with a default of 1.

So now that you know my point of view - may the flaming begin ;-)

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.openbc.com/go/invuid/Jo_Hasenau