[TYPO3-content-rendering] accessibility in CSS styled content

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Dec 21 13:33:40 CET 2005

Franz Koch schrieb am 21.12.2005 12:04:

> Why are image-tables not accessible? As long as the caption is not in a
> seperate TD everything looks good to me. I hate to do enormous css-hacks
> to tweak any other html-element than a table to exactly act and look
> like one (especially with the IE-float-bugs etc.). Ok, it's cool to have
> it done like this - but for what? Is there a rule that forbids tables
> for any other display than tabular data?

I won't say there is a rule, but there is a trend in that information
and its structure (XHTML) should be separate from its styling (CSS).

This is not new, but took a huge step forward in importance since we
have accessibility requirements. Its not only accessibility for people
with deficiencies, but also easy accessibility for different platforms:
celular phones, small PDAs, maybe some web-crawler that is able to make
some sense of XHTML data.

So the "looks the same" is not the important thing here, but a necessary
"evil" to keep the design-folks happy. The most important aspect here is
to have the data outputted in a structured way.

But I agree with you that we also need to improve the TABLE-based
variant of IMGTEXT rendering, as this will still be the default way of
outputing "Text with image". So any input on that matter is surely welcome.

Cheers,
Ernesto