[TYPO3-commerce] Commerce blues or Why I am switching to tt_products:

Ralf Merz ralf at ralf-merz.de
Tue Sep 8 18:38:08 CEST 2009

Hi Robert,

thanks for your post. Sounds nice! ;) You gave a warm helping hand to zylonne.
About the book: no, I´m not going to be the author. I also look forward
to this.
At the weekend I´ll be on T3CON09 and will talk to the author. I´m
curious what the conference will bring in cases of commerce.

Regards
Robert

On 2009-09-08 14:59:12 +0200, Bob Wild <rowild at gmx.net> said:

> [...]
>>> attribute code. Instead of using the radio/select form data itself,
>>> javascript is used to set some hidden variable  that the basket page
>>> expects.
>>>
>>> BIG BUG: user selects color "yellow", javascript  reloads form. But  client
>>> hits "Add to basket" immediately instead of waiting 2-3 seconds for the form
>>> to reload.  The basket still shows the original selection, because there was
>>> not enough time for the hidden form variables to get set.  I consider this a
>>> serious bug since this is the single most important functionality of any
>>> shop software "Add to basket".  No user will EVER understand that the reason
>>> their attribute selection is not carried into the basket is because they hit
>>> the button too fast.
>>>
>>> 3. No documentation for payment gateways:
>>> I have looked everywhere, written everyone I could find to write, posted to
>>> this list. There is simply no documentation anywhere on how to actually get
>>> a payment gateway working. Sure there is the paymentlib, and the paymentlib
>>> for commerce. I installed them. But when I configure everything that seems
>>> reasonable to configure and hit that payment method all I get is this on
>>> checkout "_ERROR". Maybe it works, but how can I know how without any docu?
>>>
>>> 4. Buggy Addresses:
>>> Sometimes when I proceed to checkout I am asked to add an address, sometimes
>>> not and the checkout skips right through to the end. I have no idea why.
>>> Looking through the list there seems to be a long history of problems with
>>> billing/delivery address. This afternoon was for me the final straw. First I
>>> was offered the form, then I wasn't.  That's it. On to tt_products.
>>>
>>> 5. Clientitus:
>>> This is by far the biggest problem with commerce. What is it? Clientitus is
>>> a sickness that affects some, but not all, open source software projects.
>>> 90% of the code does what it is supposed to. 10% does not (see the
>>> http://forge.typo3.org/projects/extension-commerce/issues commerce bug list.
>>> )  That 10% never gets fixed because everyone actually running commerce in
>>> production is using some local branch.
>>> Look, I understand as much as anyone that there is a need to make a living.
>>> And I know how complicated it is to merge local branches to the main trunk.
>>> But if those bugs never, ever get fixed in the main trunk of the project
>>> (to say nothing about the TER version, 9.8, that is so fully non-functional
>>> that the first thing everyone on this lists tells you to do is to get the
>>> svn version) then a project has clientitus.
>>> Cynics might say that the core developers intentionally foster clientitus
>>> but I don't even believe that is true. I think they just don't have time to
>>> deal with the main trunk and its many, many problems.
>>>
>>> So, you like that fancy backend interface and still want to give it a try?
>>> Be prepared for one of these 3 options:
>>>
>>> 1. Hire a commerce core programmer for 100EU/hour to get your commerce
>>> working. Pay them again to merge the code each time a new version comes out.

--
Ralf Merz
Dipl.-Ing. (FH)