[TYPO3-commerce] Categories/Products/Articles - trying to understand the logic

Christophe Stadler cs at cs-cc.com
Fri Nov 27 16:08:38 CET 2009

Hello,

I 'm not sure i understand how i should structure my commerce categories.
Here is what i want to do:

I sell 2 categories of products: hosting packages and domain names
Each category has several variations: there is a light, medium, pro package
in the hosting category and in the domains there are .com, .eu. Org etc

Here is how my tree in commerce looks like:

Category
- System
|--Product Catalog
|----Hosting Plans
|------Light
|------Medium
|------Pro
|----Domain Names
|------.com
|------.de
|------.eu
|----Payment
|------invoice
|------creditcard
|----Delivery
|------sysdelivery

Is this the correct setup ? Do i need the 'articles' or could i just work
with categories and products ? I'm not sure i understand the distinction
between Products and Articles ....

What i also don't understand is why PAYMENT and DELIVERY appear as Products
(the red-dot icon) ... Is this normal ? This is from the default install.

Thx for any help

Chris