[TYPO3-4-3] Get rid of source+dummy, source and dummy package

Steffen Ritter info at rs-websystems.de
Wed Feb 17 14:38:13 CET 2010

Steffen Müller schrieb:
> Hi.
>
> On 17.02.2010 14:05 Steffen Kamper wrote:
>> 2) with symlinks you also create a directory and create the symlinks,
>> call it from webserver.
>>
>> Goal is to make the complete install much easier for the user. 2) is
>> something admins do, and they are more advanced.
>

> # wget dummy-4.x.x.tar.gz
> # tar xfz dummy-4.x.x.tar.gz
>
> looks not harder or easier to me than
>
> # ln -s /path/to/typo3_src
> # ln -s typo3 typo3_src/typo3
> # ln -s t3lib typo3_src/t3lib
> # ln -s index.php typo3_src/index.php
> # touch ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL
>
> In both cases you have to fiddle on the shell. Where's the gain?

I think you did not get the topic ? didnt you?

It's about:
  - what has "dummy webpage" to do with my website.
  - why does TYPO3 not run, if i just downloaded the source package.
  - what do i have to do if i install via ftp?

It's about the confusion which may arise to new users and empty
installations.
It's not about "pros", hosters or dev-servers which have their
server-wide sources which are linked. They know what they do and won't
profit from it ... for shure, they will have theire own - preconfigured
dummys, install scripts or sth. else what personally does not work standard.
How about: dummy-package assumes your sources to be located on level
above site-root. That's not the case most times.

So Steffens efforts are about: how to allow new users, ftp-users or sth
else an better experience.

Solution proposed:
  - just unpack/upload/link the source-package to f.e. typo3_src
  - link the index.php
  - run index.php
Magic happens at Step Zero of Installer:
  - Installer will link typo3 folder
  - Installer will link t3lib
  - Installer will create uploads/fileadmin/.../ from source-package
  - Installer will create ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL
  - 1-2-3 mode will come up

If your "environment" is already setup no need for step 0.

This would ease up the usage of TYPO3 for beginners, less files/packages
to maintain and end up with the confusion why a dummy webpackage is
needed but empty (and not a dummy).

Got it?

Steffen