[TYPO3-project-4-3] New Backend?

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Wed Jun 3 12:14:21 CEST 2009

Hey Benni,

> this all leads back to something we already have: The Task Center.
>
> If we rewrite the whole task center and make it VERY easy for admins to
> add totally individual tasks, and not just the 3 types we have right
> now, then we could show them up on the start up page.
>
> Once this work under the hood is done (the structure of these tasks,
> rights management of the tasks), we can think of how to visualize that
> (in form of the existing task center, or of a dashboard with widgets).

As I mentioned - I think it's important to _first do the design_ and
usability stuff and then start coding. Otherwise you'll always stick to
the provided features and will never go new and better ways in the UI
design. You really have to ignore all technical stuff - editors don't
care which nice effects ExtJS has, so you also shouldn't think in this
scopes. I know it's hard for a dev (even a coding designer like me) to
completely ignore all the technical background - but I see no other way
for TYPO3 to make a big step forward in this point. I'd even go as far
and say completely ignore/drop the existing BE concept and come up with
fresh new ideas. After that you still have the possibility to pick out
the best parts and merge them into the existing BE or build up a
completely new BE.

As this in my eyes is quite a major task, I'd suggest that the
association should co-found this and maybe even hire some UI experts for
that.

> Examples for tasks:
>
> == Edit content on a page
>   Step 1: Pagetree - select a page you want to edit
>   Step 2: Show the page module
>
> == Add / Edit a news record
>   Step 1: Pagelist - Show all pages with newsrecords on it or that are
> marked as "contains news plugin"
>   Step 2: Show the news items of this page, maybe in the list view with
> a "+" icon for a new record
>   Step 3: Edit the
>
> == Send a direct mail message
>   (already has this kind of wizard to guide through the steps)

and again - as mentioned - don't stick with existing functionality.
You're again thinking which module and which view you could combine with
something else. This will not improve usability in total and just add
another way to do the sames things like before.

> Well, this discussion has been brought up so many times, it's just a
> matter of somebody thinking through the processes and then we have a
> full concept we all can develop.

yep - but it's not as easy as it sounds.

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch