[TYPO3-project-4-3] New Backend?

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Tue Jun 2 09:53:59 CEST 2009

Hi Steffen,

> i got a message from an agency i work for, that they loose clients for
> TYPO3 because of our competitors in market with other CMS. Reason is not
> how they work under the hood, main reason is the look of BE.
>
> One mainpoint is the starting screen in BE. In TYPO3 the start looks bit
> "old fashioned" and user feels alone with starting jobs.

++++++ 1 ! I hear this quite often too.

What I heard last was that page editing was too "complicated" in regard
to other CMS because for many editors who do this job only from time to
time, there is too much abstraction having a tree of pages and adding
content elements to a page without actually seeing the rendering. This
is why I really look forward a working FE editing which is found in many
other CMS (even if it is not "the best").

> I know we are one of the best CMS, but the look TYPO3 sells at less than
> fair value.
>
> The screenshot i attached is the starting screen from Joomla, and as
> much i dislike the CMS i have to admit that the start screen looks a way
> better. Even if i start my IDE i get a start screen like this.

Well, it's often the default view which I deactivate immediately but I
agree that there's should be some default view when not configured that
would look a bit like this, for instance instead of the default
"module/about view".

> So i think we should work on this for 4.4. Remember that start screen is
> the first people see when they come to TYPO3

YES !

--
Xavier Perseguers
DBAL-Member