[TYPO3-project-4-3] Inconsistent icon overlays for start and stop date

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Mon Jun 1 14:42:01 CEST 2009

Hey Ingo :-)

There are two situations where you need info about the datetime state of a CE or page:

A) Editor A has to create, edit and delete  a lot of scheduled CEs. In this case you want a quick overview about
1) which elements are currently visible and will expire at a certain point,
2) which elements are outdated (can I delete that stuff because it is not needed anymore?)
3) and which are the ones scheduled for the future.

B) Editor B is forced to link to scheduled pages and CEs maintained by others. In this case it is even more important to
have a quick overview via the icons, because you are not familiar with what has been done. Also, no tooltip is provided
in the various element browsers, means: With the current icon situation you are completely lost to which item you can
link and to which you should not.

Your suggestion would make things worse, I think.

Ingo Renner schrieb:

> IMO this is all a bit too overcomplicated. Instead what I'd propose and
> what IIRR is already there at least partly is the following:
>
> 1) item is currently visible => just the regular icon

Neither editor A or a coeditor nor editor B will be informed that this item will vanish in the future.

> 2) item is not visible anymore => the hidden icon

Editor A or a coeditor will not know which items are hidden and which are scheduled without hovering over each icon. For
editor B this would be alright.

> 3) item will be visible in the future => the clock and hidden
There are already enough overlays in combination. Why should employ two overlays to convey an unclear message (is the
element hidden and scheduled or is it only scheduled but not yet visible?). One overlay is more precise here.

> for your special cases I'd say it's enough to attach the clock and have
> a tooltip showing the settings when hovering an icon.

I came up with this suggestion because I have been asked by two of our editors who are working with a lot of scheduled
CEs more then once why element x is visible and element y is not. Also I found myself mixed up occasionally with all
those red clocks. So obviously the tooltip is not obvious enough ;-)

> Ingo - not in favor of complicating things ;)

I do not see any complication in three different colors for the clocks. I do find it complicated to hover each item.
Have a look at the mockups I uploaded on forge [1]

But as you, I would simplify the overlay stuff a bit, e.g. by getting rid all combinations with the hidden flag. Reason:
If an element is hidden, it is of absolutely no interest for editor B whether it is scheduled or limited to a usergroup.
If editor A unhides the item, he/she sees what is there after saving. This would reduce the number of icons tremendously
(7  less per Ctype, so altogether 12x7=84, similar effect with pages, but that is another issue and if you see bernd's
post below not everybody might agree. Anyway, I will open up an issue for that one (and all the missing icons) on forge
as well.

My 30 cents, Uschi

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/show/3464