[TYPO3-project-4-3] Fluid CSSEngine folder structure

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 14 18:18:35 CEST 2009

Hi,

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> Tomaz Zaman schrieb:
>> I like to have total contol over the output of the website (although
>> TYPO3 sometimes doesn't allow that :)), so i take care of all files
> I am sure you automate your minifying and concatenating yourself, but
> this is surely not the most efficient (i.e. "professional") way to work.
> I sure like to have boring and error prone tasks to be automated.

This can become a heated discussion, but I can feel part of the
apprehension regarding automation and CSS.

The CSS experts (I'm not one of them) know a lot of browser
peculiarities (aka bugs) and the solution for them. Sometimes these have
to be solved by setting some seemingly unnecessary properties and
sometimes you can use browser specific CSS-files.

If these carefully crafted and tested constructions are combined and
modified by some automatic optimization the result can ruin the hard
work of the CSS author.

Websites are often built by:
- a graphic designer who produces for example a series of .psd files
with all the layouts
- a frontend expert who produces the HTML/CSS (plus maybe client side
scripting)
- a TYPO3 integrator who produces page templates, extension templates
and TS configuration to let TYPO3 produce the desired output

Many recognize the frustration that CSS-styled-content generates its own
HTML constructions (which can be changed, I know).
The idea behind CSS-styled-content was probably that it would output
general HTML which has enough classes and id's to support a lot of styling.
In real life the styling is often done before TYPO3 kicks in.

> I want it easy, of course, and I want it in T3. What is wrong with that?
> You want it difficult by choice?

I don't think it's a matter of difficult versus easy. Maybe each major
feature -- such as this -- should be evaluated if it is worth the effort
with regard to the target audience of TYPO3. If the target audience
likes HTML/CSS to be handled in a different way this kind of automated
CSS handling could maybe be made as a third party extension.

Resource of core developers (or those who develop core functionality)
are a scarce commodity...

Regards,
--
Jigal van Hemert.