[TYPO3-project-4-3] Fluid CSSEngine folder structure

Tomaz Zaman tomaz at optiss.si
Fri Aug 14 18:53:35 CEST 2009

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> Well, you probably also don't need many stuff in TYPO3 which are there,
> and still you don't need to "-1" on each of them. Not everybody works
> the way you do.

I agree on that one, i only wanted to point out that if only 5% (for
example) of developers use a feature then it belongs in an extension not
in the core. As Jigal pointed out, core developers are scarce commodity
and therefore i (as a community member), don't want them waste time on
that feature.

> I am sure you automate your minifying and concatenating yourself, but
> this is surely not the most efficient (i.e. "professional") way to work.
> I sure like to have boring and error prone tasks to be automated.

How can you automate CSS production and processing? If there is a
faster, better way than writing it for all possible elements, then
testing it? Please let me know, i'll surely use it :) (please don't be
offended by my sarcasm :))

> If you don't like CSS processing, it won't probably do anything by
> default. At first it seems only to be a library which extensions could
> use. So still miles away from it getting "in your way" of working.

Well, "My way", based on my experience, seems to be the most used way of
making websites, Jigal pointed out the process which is the most common
web production process. Again, i might be wrong :)

> Ok, this is kind of insulting any people that want to concentrate on
> their task. If you say a professional web designer that does XHTML/CSS
> has to also care about minifying and concatenating its results before
> "checking them in", its like saying an architect has also to build the
> building himself. So to me, this is short-sightet in my eyes.

In a perfect world, that would be the case and my words would be an
insult. However, many TYPO3 developers are a one-man bands, working on
everything from design to html to T3 (i have a designer hired from who i
get PSD, so designing is spared from me - but i still do everything
else). If someone is insulted by my words, i apologize, i only argument
my thoughts on the matter...

> I want it easy, of course, and I want it in T3. What is wrong with that?
> You want it difficult by choice?

Again, from my experience (based on all the questions posted on irc
channel and mailing lists), learning TYPO3 in neither easy nor fast. It
is worth the time and effort, i admit (i make a living out of it, after
all) but there are many half-made or bad T3 websites out there that
prove my point.

Tomaz Zaman