[TYPO3-project-4-3] Fluid CSSEngine folder structure

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Aug 14 17:09:59 CEST 2009

Hi,

Tomaz Zaman schrieb:

>> automatically:
>>
>> - minifies your CSS
>> - concatenates CSS before browser-output (saving some HTTP connections)
>> - parses your CSS and does some fancy operations (like using a syntax
>> like in http://lesscss.org/
>> - maybe more in future...
>>
>> So basically, you still use your editor, you still include these files
>> wherever you like, but these might be processed by the CSSengine to give
>> you even more efficiency.

> I understand what you're saying, but i don't need my CSS minified or
> concatenated, i do that myself before even going to TYPO3 because i
> don't want processing power to be wasted on tasks (fancy opeartions)
> like that - T3 is already a resource hungry beast without that :)).

Well, you probably also don't need many stuff in TYPO3 which are there,
and still you don't need to "-1" on each of them. Not everybody works
the way you do.

> I like to have total contol over the output of the website (although
> TYPO3 sometimes doesn't allow that :)), so i take care of all files
> myself, then i test the output in all popular browsers. And only then i
> move to T3 (as I'm sure most professional developers do). Why would i
> need CSSengine at that point when i have it all just the way i want it?

I am sure you automate your minifying and concatenating yourself, but
this is surely not the most efficient (i.e. "professional") way to work.
I sure like to have boring and error prone tasks to be automated.

If you don't like CSS processing, it won't probably do anything by
default. At first it seems only to be a library which extensions could
use. So still miles away from it getting "in your way" of working.

> Maybe I'm too short-sighted here, but i still think T3 should stay
> 'CONTENT management framework', not 'EVERYTHING management framework'
> that supports lazyness and lack of knowledge. If you want it easy, then
> you probably will not use T3 anyway...

Ok, this is kind of insulting any people that want to concentrate on
their task. If you say a professional web designer that does XHTML/CSS
has to also care about minifying and concatenating its results before
"checking them in", its like saying an architect has also to build the
building himself. So to me, this is short-sightet in my eyes.

I want it easy, of course, and I want it in T3. What is wrong with that?
You want it difficult by choice?

Cheers,
Ernesto