[TYPO3-project-4-3] MVC for 4.3?

Daniel Pšötzinger nospam at nospam.de
Tue Jun 24 22:22:57 CEST 2008

Hi Peter

Thanks for your opinion.

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Daniel Pšötzinger schrieb:
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> MVC isn't the cure of all disease.
> It's just a design pattern that has been around around since the very
> beginning of Smalltalk back in 1978 (IIRC).
>
> The 4.x branch is intended to serve it's services using procedural
> coding styles. Doesn't sound that sexy, but we all use it day by day
> *and* it works. :)
Ok thats you opinion - but in my eyes the current pi_base more or less
one class approach has't to do much with object oriented programming.
For larger projects and work in team - the use of common design patterns
is the way to go.

> The point is, don't waste your efforts working on the wrong topic.
> DIV/LIB is there, Kickstarter MVC is there and they serve your needs for
> MVC pattern if you are addicted to, but V4 never ever will be your
> friend regarding that design pattern and IMHO this is good the way it is.
Well the backend and core can stay - but to have a small set of classes
for frontend-plugins supporting MVC pattern would be a coo thing.

You are right lib/div is there - and we use it for every extension now -
thats why I think we could learn and include a similar concept as common
  sysextension.
In my opinion lib/div lags in some points:
* PHP 4!
* overhad: every class is extended from a common object class and
therefore has all the overhead of the rebuild ArrayObject (append, get
etc...)
* for beginners a bit hard to switch from pi_base development
* too less integration in TYPO3: e.g. no view based on TYPO3 Markers
* connection of models to views with exchanging arrays (like done in
some examples) do not increase maintainability of the code in my eyes.
* a nice listBaseModel with support for workspaces / languageoverlays is
missing
* the tcaobject extension may also be a nice one for a modelclass

I just want to know if there are others outside supporting that idea?

> Although I know Robert doesn't like MVC that much (at least he told me
> last year) it will be part of V5. I'm sure V5 team will be glad to see
> you join.
Hmm but its a core concept in 5.0

> To keep it short:
> pi_base is a monster, but in real terms it rocks.
Hmm like having a 4000 lines tt_news?

Greetings