[TYPO3-project-4-3] TYPO3 4.3 status report 27/2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Thu Jul 10 08:49:52 CEST 2008

Hi!

Benjamin Mack wrote:
> Tell me how to do this with a bit of JS:
> * Selecting multiple files at once in the file picker of your browsers
> choice

Do you really see it as a major benefit? :) Browsers simply use default OS "file open" window.

> * Don't have to deal with page reloads, broken connections,
> max_upload_size and max_execution_time limits.

There is no need for page reload with iframe. max_execution_time does not affect file uploads at all. max_upload_size is usually at 2GB, so no big problem with that.

And do you say that you will not use PHP on the server side to receive files? What is it going to be? If it is still PHP, max_upload_size stays for POSTing files. And PUT is often disallowed for PHP (security reasons). Check these issues because you may run into them after releasing your code.

> Guys, I can also release it as a TER extension, but I don't see the
> reason why, just for the sake of arguing about cool features that TYPO3
> could have built-in ? ;-)

No need as TER ext but sysext will be great. People must be able to switch it off because many client environments do not allow flash for security reasons. This is especially important for some large companies I worked in or with.

> BTW: Check out the SWFUpload website with demos and documentation to see
> what is possible before bashing everything new.

I'd prefer if you stop making false accusations. We are not making enemies here. Everyone has rights to discuss features and say personal "like" or "don't like". And no one has rights to disallow this.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 Core team