[TYPO3-project-4-3] Global categorization

Patrick Gaumond patrick at typo3quebec.org
Wed Jul 2 03:13:30 CEST 2008

Martin Kutschker wrote:

>>> What people think about this topic ?
>> I like the idea of using ontologies to "structure" data.
>
> Great, but more complicated. A simple category system is mostly all what
> you need. Easy to set up and - important - easy to explain it to editors.
>
> I wouldn't swap categories for ontologies unless I can be convinced that
> I can have a foolproof HCI with them.

Yes, can we stay realistic and getting something at "category level"
first then if needed, full ontology for 4.4 or later ?

Categories and sub-categories are already there with Mads' approach. So
we're almost there.

If you look into the manual, Mads even got some code for extensions writers!

There's also a realistic todo in the manual so can we keep it simple,
realistic and intuitive first ?

I'm glad that our Release manager is interested in the topic.  :)

Let's ship "Phase One" of a global category system for 4.3.

Patrick