[TYPO3-install] current version is TYPO3 4.4.13

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Mon Jul 13 18:25:23 CEST 2015

Hi David Gunzenhauser,

David Gunzenhauser wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a friend who has a website (which is now starting to act funny with
> some of the content). Her version is TYPO3 4.4.13 and i understand this is
> a very old version.
>
> I am not an expert in TYPO3 but I have a web dev background.
>
> Can I easily upgrade her to the new version?

You can upgrade to TYPO3 4.5 LTS (out of support unless you bought extended
support) and from there to TYPO3 6.2 LTS.

> Would i need to add the content again?
It is preserved during upgrade.

> Would I need to add the images again?
Those are preserved during upgrade.

> Are there changes to the newest version that would impact me being able to
> just upgrade and be done? Is it better to just build a new version and be
> done with it? Can I install this in a separate directory and then port the
> content over then make the new version live?

You can copy the database. And try the upgrade on the copy first. This is
recommended.
The impact of the upgrade can only be determined if somebody know your
website, the configuration, extensions, etc.

Best regards
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!