[Typo3-install] quickstart - 500 Server Error - Premature end of script headers

Vincent newsposting1 at crel.us
Tue Sep 13 04:23:22 CEST 2005

Matthew Manderson wrote:

>> Also, that would be a lot of time to invest if I discover I cannot even
>> get the thing to work properly on my hosting provider.
>
> It seems to me that TYPO3 is running fine on your host already - All you
> want to do is have a play with Quickstart.
>
> All Quickstart is, is a populated database of pages and content and
> possibly a few extensions.
>
> My advice. Don't mess up a clean working version of TYPO3 with all this
> extra learning stuff only to have to clean it out again afterwards. You
> can get the idea of Quickstart just by reading the examples illustrated in
> the documentation.

I thought it would be more educational to go through the tutorial with the
actual web site to experiment with, especially since I have never used
a CMS before.  I figured I would likely end up deleting the whole
installation anyway, once I learned enough by screwing stuff up :-), and
start over with a clean installation at the root of my actual web tree
rather than in a typo3 subdirectory.  If not I figured it wouldn't be any
more work to delete just the quickstart site.  If I understand the layout
correctly, each site (quickstart in this instance) is a fairly self
contained sub-directory with just a sym-link back to the typo3_src
directory, and I should be able to just delete the sub-directory and
remove the mysql DB (I used a separate DB for quickstart).

> I would just get right on with starting to build your new website with it
> in the dummy installation. Dummy does not mean temporary or not real, it
> actually means empty clean and ready to build a fresh site with.
>
> If you are still keen for Quickstart and you have the webspace, follow the
> instructions to install the Quickstart .zip version. When I used to use
> it, it worked right out of the box every time. It means it will install
> cleanly alongside your current live working dummy package. Just remember
> to install it into say /quickstart leaving your current /typo3 for the
> real website.
>
> HTH
> Matthew

Ok.  I did that.  It worked.  Looks like I am good to go.  Luckily, my
hosting provider, provides ample file space.  Thank you very much,
Matthew, for the suggestions.

It looks like the .tgz packages need fixed (at least the quickstart).  It
would have saved me a lot of time.  Although, I did learn quite a bit in
the process, both about typo3 and how mysql data bases are setup and
accessed.

Regards,
Vincent

--
Avoid the VeriSign/Network Solutions domain registration trap!
Read how Network Solutions (NSI) was involved in stealing our domain name.