[TYPO3-english] Upgrade vs. migration from 3.8.0

Stephan Schuler Stephan.Schuler at netlogix.de
Fri Nov 6 16:54:47 CET 2015

Hey there.

There’s release notes for 3.8.1 from November 2005. So your 3.8.0 setup runs at least 10 years now.

Both described ways can work. But honestly, I wouldn’t try any of them.

My advice: Get a fresh current version up and running but empty.
Then spend any further minute not to migration wizards, home brew migration scripts, custom update sql or whatever but to actual people to transfer content from the old thing to the other.

Do yourself a favor, come up with a modern layout and clean up some stuff.
Most customers expect me to first migrate an old setup to a new version with 100% content, which I deliver. Of course that’s sometimes pretty costly depending on how hard things have changed and depending on the amount of custom modifications and extensions that aren’t covered by any automated migration wizard provided by TYPO3. Then they spend month cleaning up and only realize afterwards it would have been much less effort to migrate themselves and do the cleanup during that transition time.

Regards,

Am [DATE] schrieb "typo3-english-bounces at lists.typo3.org im Auftrag von Fabian Berger" <[ADDRESS]>:

>I created a homepage based on Typo3 3.8.0 a couple of years ago that has not been maintained since. I want to upgrade it now to the most current version and was wondering what would be easier:
>
>- version by version upgrade
>- install current Typo3 version in a different directory on the same server and migrate the data over
>
>Are there any benefits to doing it one way or the other? Any special steps I will have to take?
>
>I'm sorry if these are stupid questions but I have not been keeping up with Typo3 for the last couple years.
>
>Any help is much appreciated

Stephan Schuler
Web-Entwickler | netlogix Web Solutions

Telefon: +49 (911) 539909 - 0
E-Mail: Stephan.Schuler at netlogix.de
Web: websolutions.netlogix.de

netlogix GmbH & Co. KG
IT-Services | IT-Training | Web Solutions
Neuwieder Straße 10 | 90411 Nürnberg
Telefon: +49 (911) 539909 - 0 | Fax: +49 (911) 539909 - 99
E-Mail: info at netlogix.de | Web: http://www.netlogix.de

netlogix GmbH & Co. KG ist eingetragen am Amtsgericht Nürnberg (HRA 13338)
Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin: netlogix Verwaltungs GmbH (HRB 20634)
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE 233472254
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Buchta, Matthias Schmidt