[TYPO3-english] Upgrade vs. migration from 3.8.0

Bernd Wilke t3n at pi-phi.de
Fri Nov 6 13:42:44 CET 2015

Am 06.11.2015 um 13:10 schrieb Fabian Berger:
> I created a homepage based on Typo3 3.8.0 a couple of years ago that has
> not been maintained since. I want to upgrade it now to the most current
> version and was wondering what would be easier:
>
> - version by version upgrade
> - install current Typo3 version in a different directory on the same
> server and migrate the data over
>
> Are there any benefits to doing it one way or the other? Any special
> steps I will have to take?
>
> I'm sorry if these are stupid questions but I have not been keeping up
> with Typo3 for the last couple years.
>
> Any help is much appreciated

depends on the amount of data and whether you want stay with the old
layout/design.

if you you have not much data and prefer a modern design you may be
faster with a new installation and copy&paste (or some basic sql). if
you are lucky you may be able to use t3d export/import.

if you want to keep the design without much changes you need to upgrade
step by step. but be aware since 3.8 a lot of (default-)rendering has
changed and it will need a lot of work in redefining the rendering or
adapting the CSS to these changes.

furthermore you need to consider the usage of any extensions:
what changes have been done? do you need to update data? with/without
update scripts? can you update step by step or with one jump?

just some thoughts

bernd