[TYPO3-english] Re: 6.2.0 Install Tool Update Wizard: MySQL-Error

Thomas Skierlo tsk at pix-pro.eu
Wed Jan 15 12:17:03 CET 2014

Hello Thorsten,

Quote: Thorsten Kahler (thorsten) wrote on Wed, 15 January 2014 11:33
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas Skierlo schrieb am 14.01.14 17:48:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm currently trying to get TYPO3 6.2.0 (yesterdays master, fresh
> > install) to work with utf8_unicode_ci collation (instead of
> > utf8_general_ci), but whenever I click on "Update Wizard" in the
> > Install Tool, I'm getting this mySQL Error:
> >
> > llegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and
> > (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '<>'
> >
> > My my.cnf:
> >
> > [mysqld]
> > character-set-server=utf8
> > collation-server = utf8_unicode_ci
> > init-connect='SET NAMES utf8'
>
> are there any external constains to use utf8_unicode_ci instead of
> utf8_general_ci? The latter one is default for usage of UTF-8 in MySQL
> and I think there are very few devs who consider anything but the
> default behaviour/setup since we switched TYPO3 to UTF-8 by default.

Well, yes, there are reasons to use utf8_unicode_ci instead of "general", which has sorting issues in multilingual environments. I think that a new major release, like 6.2LTS, should be the right moment to switch to a future proof collation. I have no doubt that uft8_general_ci will NOT show the current error, since I used it up to 6.1.6 without any problems.

> > collation connection: utf8_unicode_ci
> > collation database:	utf8_unicode_ci
> > collation server: utf8_unicode_ci
> > init connect: SET NAMES utf8
>
> The last line shows you switched the connection (and such its collation)
> to utf8_general_ci.
>
> According to [1] you might try to set the collation explicitly like
>
> SET NAMES utf8 COLLATION utf8_unicode_ci;

That's what I've tried this very moment. Despite of any server settings adding it via the install tool (or by manually editing LocalConfiguration.php). Doing it via the install tool/All configuration always brings back the default "SET NAMES utf8;" I tried SET NAMES utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci, which - according to MySQL Docs, should be SET NAMES 'utf8' COLLATE 'utf8_unicode_ci' (see the single ticks). But it never makes it's way into LocalConfiguration (possibly another bug??).

Currently there is one thing that I'd like to know: Is there anybody out there with a collation of 'utf8_unicode_ci' NOT having my problem.

Regards,

Thomas