[TYPO3-english] 6.2.0 Install Tool Update Wizard: MySQL-Error

Thorsten Kahler thorsten.kahler at typo3.org
Wed Jan 15 11:33:00 CET 2014

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Skierlo schrieb am 14.01.14 17:48:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently trying to get TYPO3 6.2.0 (yesterdays master, fresh
> install) to work with utf8_unicode_ci collation (instead of
> utf8_general_ci), but whenever I click on "Update Wizard" in the
> Install Tool, I'm getting this mySQL Error:
>
> llegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and
> (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '<>'
>
> My my.cnf:
>
> [mysqld]
> character-set-server=utf8
> collation-server = utf8_unicode_ci
> init-connect='SET NAMES utf8'

are there any external constains to use utf8_unicode_ci instead of
utf8_general_ci? The latter one is default for usage of UTF-8 in MySQL
and I think there are very few devs who consider anything but the
default behaviour/setup since we switched TYPO3 to UTF-8 by default.

> collation connection: utf8_unicode_ci
> collation database:	utf8_unicode_ci
> collation server: utf8_unicode_ci
> init connect: SET NAMES utf8

The last line shows you switched the connection (and such its collation)
to utf8_general_ci.

According to [1] you might try to set the collation explicitly like

SET NAMES utf8 COLLATION utf8_unicode_ci;

but I'd suggest to use collation utf8_general_ci, if that's ok for your
clients

Cheers,
Thorsten

[1] <https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/charset-connection.html>