[TYPO3-english] Labels translations for a new extension

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Thu Dec 18 23:08:37 CET 2014

Hi,

On 17/12/2014 13:13, Sergio Catalá wrote:
> "felogin" extension uses a template that has some labels of type
> "###USERNAME_LABEL###" (f.e. for the placeholder of the username input
> field). If I download through "ADMIN TOOLS" > "Language" module on backend
> the german translation for "felogin" extension, this label is converted to
> german in the frontend. Fine until here.
>
> Now let's just imagine I am building a new extension that has some
> typoscript that just replaces the file template for "felogin" extension.
> When I enable my extension, labels are again in english.

No, they should still be in German (provided that you select German as
FE language). The TypoScript from your extension is added to the
complete TypoScript and since you only changed where felogin has to find
the template the labels from felogin are used here.

> As far as I understood the internationalization process for labels, the
> translations are supposed to be inside my extension on XLIFF files under
> Resources/Language/ folder. As these files are not there (I would like to
> use the ones for german inherited from "felogin" extension), the english
> labels are used again.

That's the logical place to put XLIFF files indeed.
You can override the labels in TypoScript (
plugin.tx_felogin_pi1._LOCAL_LANG.de.username = Your label )

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!