[TYPO3-english] User Story: Integrating ReStructuredText documentation

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Sun Mar 3 18:59:22 CET 2013

Hello,

I first thought of "hijacking" a post I started in the documentation
mailing list but as it would be great to have feedback from as many
persons as possible, I start this new thread here instead.

As you know the documentation team has done a tremendous job to
modernize the official TYPO3 documentation and integrate HTML pages with
a design similar to t3o:

http://docs.typo3.org/

One year ago I started to investigate another option, instead of asking
Sphinx to generate HTML output with a proper template, I decided to let
it generate JSON-based files (basically containing "raw" HTML without
superfluous design) and created a TYPO3 extension to integrate the JSON
content into my website. I named it restdoc, and it's available both in
Forge [1] and in TER [2].

I worked a lot lately to enhance it and add support for all I needed for
what I call a proper integration (breadcrumb menu, general index of
terms, ...) and a version 1.1.0 will be sent to TER when I'm sure it's
ready.

In the mean time and as some of you are interested in integrating reST
documentation in a TYPO3 as well, I'd like to point out this short blog
post where I describe the various options I used on my website:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/117624290123792924579/posts/R5H1ZUMcwEm

Feel free to ask here if you need advices. I'd really like to know if
you started to use reST as well and if so, if you integrated it too.

If you are interested in translating documentation, please see post
"Translating Documentation" in documentation mailing list for pros and
cons of the various alternatives.

Kind regards

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/projects/extension-restdoc
[2] http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/restdoc