[TYPO3-english] CLOSED - Re: Major background issues

Peter Kühnlein peter at function2form.net
Fri Jun 14 10:00:37 CEST 2013

Marina, if you are still there...

Am 14.06.2013 09:36, schrieb marina t:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Thank you for your suggestions. I confess I am totally lost at this
> point. Have no idea what a "source + dummy set-up" is
that's the easiest thing to do: you download the source and dummy
packages (say, version 6.1) from the TYPO3 download site, unpack them
and move the resulting directories into the root directory of your web
server. Don't rename the directory resulting from unpacking the source,
but do rename the dummy...-directory to something meaningful. Change the
permissions so that your web server has writing permissions on the
fileadmin, typo3cond, typo3temp and upload subdirectories in the
ex-dummy...-directory. Point your browser to that directory - that's it.
> , nor where it can be found - from the docs, I understood the "safe"
> way to install TYPO3 was the introduction package?
>
> But no matter, as this all really sounds way too technical for me.
> I've used MAMP before and I remember having no major issues with it
> with a test installation of WordPress, but that was a few years ago
> and things might have changed.
>
> I just assumed it was for the better, but apparently things that used
> to be easy have become increasingly complicated... and I can't keep up
> any longer! Too bad - must be my age :-)
>
> Anyway, I guess I am not up to it - and I wish it was clearer from the
> available descriptions of TYPO3 that the minimum skill level is expert
> Web server, PHP and database administration.
Nahhh it isn't - it's all quite easy...
> In this sense, it is not suited to "Web designers" nor to ordinary
> "Webmasters", who only know about HTML, CSS, FTP, mailbox setup, and
> the usual common tasks that are required to maintain a Website on
> somebody else's virtual host.
>
> As I said, I wish this was clearer from the start, as it would have
> saved a lot of hassle and headeaches to all! :-)
>
> So I'll keep looking for a suitable CMS - might come and check back on
> TYPO3 in another few years :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> marina
> (now leaving the list)
Cheers, Peter

--

http://function2form.net
http://peter-kuehnlein.net

"The Way of the Samurai is in desperateness. Ten men or more cannot kill such a man."
(Hagakure)