[TYPO3-english] CLOSED - Re: Major background issues

bernd wilke t3ng at bernd-wilke.net
Fri Jun 14 14:36:23 CEST 2013

Am 14.06.13 09:36, schrieb marina t:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Thank you for your suggestions. I confess I am totally lost at this
> point. Have no idea what a "source + dummy set-up" is, nor where it can
> be found - from the docs, I understood the "safe" way to install TYPO3
> was the introduction package?
>
> But no matter, as this all really sounds way too technical for me. I've
> used MAMP before and I remember having no major issues with it with a
> test installation of WordPress, but that was a few years ago and things
> might have changed.
>
> I just assumed it was for the better, but apparently things that used to
> be easy have become increasingly complicated... and I can't keep up any
> longer! Too bad - must be my age :-)
>
> Anyway, I guess I am not up to it - and I wish it was clearer from the
> available descriptions of TYPO3 that the minimum skill level is expert
> Web server, PHP and database administration. In this sense, it is not
> suited to "Web designers" nor to ordinary "Webmasters", who only know
> about HTML, CSS, FTP, mailbox setup, and the usual common tasks that are
> required to maintain a Website on somebody else's virtual host.
>
> As I said, I wish this was clearer from the start, as it would have
> saved a lot of hassle and headeaches to all! :-)
>
> So I'll keep looking for a suitable CMS - might come and check back on
> TYPO3 in another few years :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> marina
> (now leaving the list)

as Marina propably has left the list may someone else answer this:

Do we need an easier startup especially for beginners
instead of downloading an archive, unpacking it and maybe moving around
some folders?

For myself I had build an php for easier startup-installing (and also
updating an existing installation). [1] is an earlier version.
Today I use a newer version which requests all available versions from
[2] and gives a dropdown. This will someday be shown on my website, but
if anyone requests it as a base for a new install-script I will send it.

combining this with the new options in the installtool about
server-requirements to verify that TYPO3 will run after installation and
the 123-Install-wizard we might get a script usable for everyone to get
TYPO3 to run without programming knowledge.

at the end of the year it might be possible to request themes which can
be installed with some basic typoscript configuration by this
beginner-script so a functinal and nice looking empty(!)[3] website may
be installed by an editor without knowledge of PHP or Typoscript.

[1] http://pi-phi.de/241.html
[2] http://get.typo3.org/json
[3] So there exists the introductionpackage and the governmentpackage,
these packages can't be used as a startup for a new site.

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html