[TYPO3-english] THEMES - the tool for Designers, Template Builders and Content Creators

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Fri Jun 14 09:15:53 CEST 2013

> Then there comes the nice FCE handling in TV, which every editor loved
> because custom content elements where easy to use. Now I am concerned about
> this feature, because there are in my opinion two extensions battling doing
> the exact same thing: gridelements and fluidcontent.

There is no battle, since FCE are not the focus of gridelements anyway.
Grid elements give you two things: A way to create content structures
having a backend layout on another level than pages and a lot of
usability enhancements to improve the working speed while using the
backend. The major advantage is, that they do this with a fully
normalized concept based on core functions and without the need of
extbase or fluid.

The fact that you can build kind of FCE stuff with them is just a side
effect of the flexform field we had to integrate to have a smooth
migration from TV pages to grid elements. But it is not recommended,
since this makes people run into the same technical problems like with TV.

Personally I never understood the hype about FCE, since this is
something you can do with some TCA within just a few minutes and you
will need at least some TypoScript for each of them anyway.

> In gridelements there are multiple actions necessary for building one fce.
> Backend actions, then typoscript configuration and in the end the html file.

You don't need any file there, since just some wraps will be enough to
get containers and children with the appropriate classes, the rest is up
to bootstrap and the like anyway.

But of course you can use fluid files as well, if you think this is a
good idea, since TypoScript gives you FLUIDTEMPLATE and the plugin
prepares addtional arrays for you. So Gridelements gives you the choice,
while fluidcontent forces you into the Extbase and Fluid world, which is
it's major advantage and it's major drawback at the same time.

But the actual point is: TYPO3 makes use of extensions to give the users
a choice. It's not up to the core to decide which way to go, but up to
the people. This is why neither TV nor gridelements nor fluidcontent are
"officially" part of the core. Gridelements has been built as a core
project but was never included.

Still the Grid Packages project is open for everybody to join, so if you
want to get more fluid in there, feel free to provide your package as well.

Cheers

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de