[TYPO3-english] THEMES - the tool for Designers, Template Builders and Content Creators

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Fri Jun 14 09:49:13 CEST 2013

Hi Joey,

> Personally I never understood the hype about FCE, since this is
> something you can do with some TCA within just a few minutes and you
> will need at least some TypoScript for each of them anyway.

I do as as I remember when I started that creating FCE was exactly as
easy as mapping page templates. You don't need any TS to start with,
just as you don't for TV. OK this is only for "basic" operations but
with default TS created when you have TV installed, you can easily
create a page template and a few FCEs (again, basic such as mapping 3
columns of content with hardcoded width ratio) without any need to
configure something in TS.

I really love TS but we all should agree that TV succeeded in removing
this first barrier for newcomers as you don't have to learn "much" of TS
(if at all) to start enjoying TYPO3. Of course, really quickly, you'll
have to dig into it but not before having seen "wahoo, I can map my
template or at least most part of it easily, TYPO3 rocks!".

>From my POV, this is this "wahoo" feeling that made TV so successful.

And this is why we all should concentrate on letting people with less
technical knowledge start using TYPO3 without being frustrated. As an
example, did you read the post from "marina t" ("Major background
issues") in this English ML? Citing her:

> Login to TYPO3 6.1.1 Install Tool
> Site: New TYPO3 site
>     .    Password
> The password you just tried has this md5-value:
> bacb98acf97e0b6112b1d1b650b84971
> The Install Tool Password is not the admin password of TYPO3.
> The default password is joh316. Be sure to change it!
>
> If you don't know the current password, you can set a new one by
> setting the value of $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['installToolPassword']
> in typo3conf/LocalConfiguration.php to the md5() hash value of the
> password you desire.

> I confess the above makes no sense to me. What is an md5-value? Why
> should I know it?
>
> Also, as you mention your database password - when are you required
> to enter it, and how do you get it? I couldn't find any way to set up
> the database while installing TYPO3, so evidently I am missing some
> fundamental steps (or required skill!)

This typically shows that even within the installer we take for granted
that everyone knows what a md5 hash is. OK, we don't really require
people to be able to compute one because we give the corresponding hash
of entered password, but this is already too complicated for some people.

TYPO3 is great and highly configurable but the challenge now (at last)
to gather more users and spread the word is to remove most if not all
entry barriers while keeping the flexibility we have for more powerful
users. I love having systematically various way of being able to
configure something or perform an action but other CMS have more success
by simply having 1 single way of doing something, perhaps something
worth thinking of.

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers